How to use WINWING F-16 ICP with F-16 mods?

Nightstorm

Say you have the F-16 CFT mod installed that gives you access to multiple versions of the F-16.  By default, the ICP will only work with the stock F-16C.  This is because there is a file called dcs_event_bind_config.js in the SimAppPro folder located here:  \SimAppPro\resources\app.asar.unpacked.

You can edit that file and add additional F-16 versions and presumably F/A-18 versions for the SuperBug mod.   However, that only affects the lights.  Landing Gear handle, RWR power and panel lights.  Which is cool, but what controls the DED display?  There doesn't appear to be a similar file for that.

The DED only works with the stock F-16.

I've attached my modified version of the file for the F-16's.

If anyone has any ideas on the DED, that would be awesome!  Thank you.

dcs_event_bind_config.js

As you found out, the `dcs_event_bind_config.js` works for lights, not the LCD/matrix display on the f16 ded/f18 ufc made by WinWIng. 

"What controls the DeD displays"
1. SimApp Pro starts up and runs in the background, it detects your F16 ICP/DED
2. You start DCS, it has an export.lua script (wwtExport.lua) that runs when a mission starts
3. wwtExport.lua sends your aircraft type to SimApp Pro and says "Hey, SimApp Pro, im ready to start sending you game data. Here is the light value for gear handle, weapon count remaining, and the DeD/UFC values, etc" and sends that every few milliseconds 
4. SimApp Pro reads these messages from wwtExport.lua (DCS Game state) and updates the appropriate device.

You have a few options to get a working DeD with the F16 mod or any aircraft are the following:
Out of the options listed, I am a fan of Option 3 the most. It would be open-source, eliminate the need for SimApp Pro to power displays, and be totally customizable. Not saying I have the time to make this, but if someone does that would be amazing and I bet the community would enjoy a proper stand-alone, open source, tool to power their displays. 

1. Have WinWIng update SimApp Pro to support natively. This is hard because then WinWing is responsible for supporting 3rd party mods, deciding what to show on the DED when flying the A10 or AH64. They have hinted at this being possible in 2024, but unsure what level of support will look like
Pros: Super easy to use, all users would benifit
Cons: WinWIng now must decide what is shown on the DED for all aircraft, and people may want variations. WinWIng could allow customization, but take a look at the F16/F15EX vibration customization, it leaves alot to be desired.

2. Have WinWing extend SimApp Pro API (the one wwtExport.lua sends data to) to be more generic and accept data which will populate LCD segmenet screens. I am a fan of this option since WinWing could add this as they have developed in-house how to write data to the LCD segments.
Example:
Send a UDP packet to port 16500 with 
{device: "DED", line1: "Master Arm: On", line2: "Nav mode selected", line3: "Your custom data populate from any game, xplane, msfs2020, dcs, etc for ANY aircraft"}

Pros: Simple to use, allows 3rd party developers to create mods/addons for different sims and aircraft
Cons: Limitations with LCD segements on what can be displays. IE: No letters in a number only lcd segement, etc. WinWing must define an API/documentation for 3rd party devs to use. 

3. 3rd party dev develops Option 2. This can be done as showcased here where you can get data to appear on WinWing devices by using USB write calls (HIDAPI).
I wrote a small example of how this could work, but this is only a proof-of-concept, it would take a lot more refining to get a polished product: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/318859-custom-data-shown-on-ufc/
Pros: Open Source, makes development for other games easier
Cons: Time consuming

4: Hacky solution of what Universal UFC did for the F18 UFC, in the wwtExport.lua, mimic an F16, and send the expected DED payload to SimApp Pro. Now when we fly the A10, we can send custom DED data to SimApp Pro and we get the expected result on the DED. Link to WinWIng UFC Mod: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/319024-universal-ufc-works-with-all-modules-simple-install/
Pros: Quick, easier than the above options
Cons: hacky, prone to breaking with updates to SimApp Pro 

• Thanks 1