DCS MFD Export

Hi all,

What is the best way to run MFD displays on a remote computer? I have tried a few solutions, but none are optimal.

I was able to get DCS MFD Exporter (by @pet333r) to work, but not as advertised.

Link: http://pw-developer.com/soft_dcs_mfd.html

In short, I can only repeat the display to the remote computer if the MFD is visible on the displays on the main/server computer. As best I can tell, it is not possible to export the display entirely as @pet33r does for his apps (which I use the DCS UFC for Android app.) The picture on the website shows that the MFDs can be placed outside the actual display area and exported, however -- I have not been able to get that to work. It only works if the MFDs are placed within the display space on the computer. When exporting, it is experimental as to what position/windows sizes work well between the two computers; it is pretty particular.

My end goal is to export the MFDs while running in VR to another computer for a mixed reality experience, I have a spare PC and am thus trying to offload some of the CPU burden as I run a WinWing MIP cockpit, Buttkicker, VoiceAttack/Vaicom Pro and TeamSpeak. 

If anyone has any suggestions, they are welcome.

Another approach would be to see if it is possible to run the apps listed by offloading the CPU to another computer/cloud. However, I have only recently started looking at that as an alternative.

Thank you!

csbeau

Win 11 64, 2 Computers: i7-13700K 64GB, RTX 4090OC 24GB VRAM (primary sim PC) & i9-13950HX 32GB, RTX  4090 12GB VRAM (work & mobile sim laptop), VR: Meta Quest Pro & Quest 3

Ok... so I have been able to get it to work to export the displays. For DCS to render the displays below the left-most monitor, as suggested in the website link,

image.png

I had to lower my second screen (listed as 1 here) enough to capture the MFDs from the Monitor lua file.

image.png

It is not clear whether the export script from @pet333r is required, I have it running as I use his UFC app for the IFEI display. From my configuration testing, I do not think it is required, but I have not tried running it and disabling the script.

You will need to setup your monitor lua file, here is mine:

--

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('MFD_Export');
Description = 'MFD_Export'
Viewports =
{
     Center =
     {
          x = 0;
          y = 0;
          width = 2560;
          height = 1440;
          viewDx = 0;
          viewDy = 0;
          aspect = 2560 / 1440;
     }
}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center
GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT = Viewports.Center

LEFT_MFCD =
{
     x = 0;
     y = 1696;
     width = 768;
     height = 768;
}

CENTER_MFCD =
{
     x = 768;
     y = 1696;
     width = 768;
     height = 768;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
     x = 1536;
     y = 1696;
     width = 768;
     height = 768;
}

--

My resolution is 4480x2464

(Left monitor is 2560x1440, right is 1920x1200), I used DPEdit.exe to position the monitors precisely.

The server runs on the DCS computer, this is my setting to capture three 768x768 MFD displays.

image.png

On the computer with the remote display(s), you will run the client exe,

Note that the client default screen (the PanelSettings is available in the Settings menu and is at the top of this picture) is the stream relative settings and needs to be appropriately aligned with the server; in this case, 0,0 768x768 scrapes the first display, 768,0 768x768 the second and so forth. The server exports the height and width (a rectangle) and pulls from DCS at the X-Y position (0, 1696 - in this case, see server Export picture above.)

image.png

Unfortunately, the rendered displays on the client side do not seem to position as per the client coordinates; it exports resizable displays (in this case, 3) that you can then resize and position using the mouse. I have not been able to determine how to keep those positions, so it will require repositioning the displays each time the app is restarted on the client.

I hope this helps others if anyone else is interested in exporting displays to a second computer. I use the second computer to render three WinWing MFD displays while running the other hardware (MFD pushbuttons, UFC, throttle, stick, etc.) on the DCS sim computer. I also run a dedicated server for multi-player missions on a 3rd computer.

Edited by Beau1969

Win 11 64, 2 Computers: i7-13700K 64GB, RTX 4090OC 24GB VRAM (primary sim PC) & i9-13950HX 32GB, RTX  4090 12GB VRAM (work & mobile sim laptop), VR: Meta Quest Pro & Quest 3

PS: The above worked as expected. You do not need PW export script for it to work, only the client and server for each PC.

I do see an improvement in FPS on an i713700K and 3090Ti of about 10% in 2D, but I have not yet had the time to test it in VR.

• 2 weeks later...

This does work and works well. Unfortunately, for VR, it is a bit more trouble due to the VR headset because you start the app, then DCS, then back to the app, then back to DCS, etc...  all in the headset. So, I have decided to run the MFDs on the DCS computer as I only have to configure the LUA files, and once DCS is launched, I can stay within DCS.

For a 2D setup, it is great.