Pimax Crystal and 3090 - is a 4090 required to run it?

Hawkeye_UK

Ok so would really appreciate some advice on this one.  Given the G2 is going to be bricked on the next windows update have decided time to upgrade and pulled the trigger on a Pimax ( i have used DCS and VR since Rift days so know my way around set ups and happy to put the time in).

My question is with eye tracking and quad views FR do people that already have the headset think a 3090 FTW Ultra will run this headset in the sweetspot at Native resoltion?  How will it compare to the G2 in terms of performance?

DCS has changed alot in the last 12 months with performance, and the rest of the machine is an i7 13700k (i got lucky on the silicon, it runs happy upto 6ghz) and 64 GB Ram on Samsung 990 nvme.  

Would really be greatful if anyone has any thoughts, do i need to get the 4090 for my usual settings which would be on the main settings Cockpit high, terrain High, View High (not ultra), shadows low, tree's 100%, clouds high, then in the VR tab pd 1.  I ask as see alot of content creators are natually running 4090's so wondering if i need to start thinking about ordering a new GPU (my preference would be that i don't given i only got my 3090 last summer and its hardly been used with being away alot).

I want to avoid the situation of say having a G2 on a 2080ti and not being able to run it well at native like when i went from the Rift S as it makes it pointless having a higher res headset.

As i said, all thoughts welcome on this one from those running a Pimax.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

On my system I run the Crystal with a RTX3090. Just make sure that besides Pimax Play that you install OpenXR Toolkit, PimaxXR, QuadView & QuadView Compagnion.

On the web you'll find a lot of information about these programs, how to install and use them.

There is also a lot of information about settings, but, in the end you'll have to take these more or less as basics because you'll have to tune all these to your likings and to your system. There are no defintive settings, even if people have your CPU & GPU their settings might not work for you.

In the end, it sure is worth investing a bit of time as the Crystal is a heck of a headset that can give you a great experience in DCS (and other flightsims).

I had the Crystal for a week. I consistently got 40 - 70 fps. 

Unfortunately the headset I felt was appallingly cheap, too many light leaks, blurry at bottom edges and the headstrap fit was awful and ripped my hair out every time. 

But no, you don't need a 4090. 

Edited by Elphaba