Information on DCS default bind allocation logic

I'm currently trying to understand exactly how DCS World is setting default binds for devices, and a bit stuck on trying to understand how it is done as the binds are not explicitly stored in the users saved games/config/input files but seemingly inferred at runtime.

From initial looks, there are several "default" bindings defined in 

• <MAIN INSTALL>\DCS World OpenBeta\Config\Input\Aircrafts
    • base_joystick_binding.lua
    • common_joystick_binding.lua
    • common\joystick\default.lua

I've also seen binds defined in <MAIN INSTALL>\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\*\Input\*\Joystick

• default.lua
  • multiple lua files each which device names that are presumingly some level of default for a particular device (keyed off device name only?)

What I'm trying to figure out here is how for a particular device DCS layers all of these on top of each other to produce the current bound state for a device, and if there are more files to consider to build this complete picture.

Does anyone have knowledge in this area?

Edited by rexehuk

DCS bind axis be default depending on the name the hardware vendor has given the axis. Like my Slaw Device Rotors always gets bound to the correct rudder/torque pedal axis. While the toe breaks always are bound to pitch and roll. Unless, there exist preconfigured config files. Like for the TM Warthog and TM MFDs for certain modules.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

On 2/23/2024 at 12:57 PM, MAXsenna said:

DCS bind axis be default depending on the name the hardware vendor has given the axis. Like my Slaw Device Rotors always gets bound to the correct rudder/torque pedal axis. While the toe breaks always are bound to pitch and roll. Unless, there exist preconfigured config files. Like for the TM Warthog and TM MFDs for certain modules.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Yeah, those are the simple cases, but without knowing the true ordering of the layering it's very hard to programmatically assert the end state given an input device of X name.

Any information the community can help with will make it possible to add to https://joystick-diagrams.com/