DCS VR please help. hardware cpu i5 12th gen 3.7ghz gpu 3070 meta quest 2

Hi great community, tell me what you think of this... i have a hard time getting nice results. DLAA and optimizing resolution up to 1.5 to get clear image. When i play in multiplayer session it starts to lag quite a lot.Ā  I have to bump down terrain texture and cockpit texture and it sucks. šŸ˜žĀ I also have like smearingĀ  effect (not jerky) when i watch other planes moving it's really not nice.Ā  I tried downloading openXR toolkit and when i turn on turbo mode DCS crashes... nothing good out of openXR for me.Ā 

Ā 

For now i have to deal with this hardware i have since it's a fresh build i made myself and it costed me quite a lot of money.Ā  So any ideas here are more than welcome to make my vr experience better would be MUCH appreciated.

Ā 

best regards!Ā 

Mark

Welcome to the Forum. Not sure if i can help as i have no Meta HMD. Are you running the multithreading DCS.exe? If not, i would highly recommend to use it instead of the standard DCS.exe. You can find it in the mt-bin folder of your DCS install and you can identify if your on multithreading version when it says "MT preview 2.9XXXXX" at the lower right of the DCS main menu.

22 hours ago, Mark045 said:

DLAA and optimizing resolution up to 1.5 to get clear image. When i play in multiplayer session it starts to lag quite a lot.

By that you mean, setting pixel density in DCS to 1.5? Not sure about the Quest 2 and the Oculus software, but i guess itĀ“s the same with every VR headset. IĀ“d recommend to leave pixel density at 1.0 and rather play around with whatever the Oculus software comes around. OpenXR is still recommended, i came from SteamVR and it gave me a massive performance boost. Although you made some negative experience with it, iĀ“d recommend to try it again. Maybe leave Turbo mode to off to begin with. Setting up OpenXR was a bit tricky, but once i got behind it, it was pretty easy. There is a very good tutorial somewhere here on the forum, wich helped me a lot.

Besides that, with that i5 and the 3070 you will likely need to sacrifice some eye candy for performance. But DCS should be quite playable with that hardware in VR...

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident ZĀ  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

OXR Turbo Mode will lock up the game randomly when activating o deactivating. Try again in the main menu and see how it goes. It is incompatible with Oculus ASW, so don't try to have both active at the same time. It will also crash the game if the headset goes into power saving mode (you can fix this by covering the face sensor with a piece of tape)

Like @VpR81Ā suggests, leave pixel density in DCS at 1.0 and change it on the external tools (Oculus Tray Tool in my case). Go to Oculus software and set the resolution slider all the way to the right.

You could try limiting your FoV to something like .85 to save some pixels and GPU power.

With all that and these settings I'm able to play comfortably with a worse PC than yours (i5 10400 - 3060ti). I also have a Quest 2.

Screen_240228_131739_4.jpg

Ā 

DLAA (and most other AA) gives me smearing as well, so I simply leave that stuff off, got PD at 1.5

I run the DCS mirror at 1366x768, dials at 512 EF (can read them just fine that way)

Though I do use Foveating, turbo, and size at 125% with OpenXR (Though I'd have to check exact values)

Getting roughly between 25 (Bad days)-45 fps (FPS capped) with my rig

see sig for specs, CPU OCed to 5.5, and squeezing every stable last drop out of the GPU with fans running 100 without passing 70c

Ā 

image.png

Ā 

Ā 

Do you run your Meta tethered or wireless? What's your memory and what's your internet speed?

Ā 

Edited by Nightdare
  • Intel I5 13600kĀ / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb /Ā Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,Ā  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2Ā  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V Ā / DIY Button Box

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

ok sorry for late answer. I run dcs on multithread yes.Ā  Ā I also use a link cable to my pc and Vr head set and my internet speed is 300 megabyte per sec.Ā  What esle i can say, i will try again some of your specs you sent me and see how it goes for me.Ā  Ā Ā