Eye Tracking never seems to stay on

skybaby68

I'm running the Flight Sim version of the crystal (no lighthouses or controllers) and although eye tracking is enabled & calibrated, auto IPD adjustmenst on, Pimax XR & Quad Views set up etc, I check eye tracking's working by running the calibration tool but it seems that I have to recalibrate every time I restart a VR session as it's no longer working after switching off (even though in device settings, eye tracking is always enabled and green).

Also, the clear black lines around the eye tracking box in DCS (especially external views) is shockingly obvious; really very noticeable to the point it's a total immersion breaker. 

Running the latest firmware as it asked for a firmware update as soon as I got it up and running at the weekend and have also double checked that I have it running in PC mode not standalone.

So far ... really not impressed with it at all. It's even a total nightmare turning the headset on and off. It comes on 60% of the time when holding down the power button for 4-5 secs but switching it off, it just boots back up and comes back on again when it feels like it (even if you also select 'shut down' on the pimax software screen).

i9 14900K - ROG Maximus Z790 Hero - GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 - 64GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 XMP - Samsung 4TB SSD - Pimax Crystal - Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle & Joystick - VirPil AH-64D Grip - Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals 

Initially I had many similar problems with the eye tracking that were apparently related to USB issues. 

I cleared it up by plugging the headset into the USB hub and plugging the USB hub into a USB 2.0 port. NOT USB 3.0. 

If your PC doesn’t have any USB 2.0 ports you can get a USB 2.0 hub and use that with the USB 3.0 port. The important thing is that the Crystal should connect over 2.0.

Now it works fine and also stays charged.

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal

Since the latest Pimax update I don’t have to recalibrate eye tracking every time. It’s a highly welcomed upgrade

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

On 3/6/2024 at 3:51 AM, skybaby68 said:

I'm running the Flight Sim version of the crystal (no lighthouses or controllers) and although eye tracking is enabled & calibrated, auto IPD adjustmenst on, Pimax XR & Quad Views set up etc, I check eye tracking's working by running the calibration tool but it seems that I have to recalibrate every time I restart a VR session as it's no longer working after switching off (even though in device settings, eye tracking is always enabled and green).

Also, the clear black lines around the eye tracking box in DCS (especially external views) is shockingly obvious; really very noticeable to the point it's a total immersion breaker. 

Running the latest firmware as it asked for a firmware update as soon as I got it up and running at the weekend and have also double checked that I have it running in PC mode not standalone.

So far ... really not impressed with it at all. It's even a total nightmare turning the headset on and off. It comes on 60% of the time when holding down the power button for 4-5 secs but switching it off, it just boots back up and comes back on again when it feels like it (even if you also select 'shut down' on the pimax software screen).

We've gathered log files from users who have reported issues with their headsets, such as being unable to shut down or experiencing automatic reboots after attempting to power off through the physical button or client software. The development team is currently reviewing these logs and focusing on devising a solution.

I would add that unless I power  the Crystal on first before any power to the PC the headset/client do not connect. I also have to regularly check the USB/HID trees in Device manager to ensure the box allowing power off to the USB is not enabled. There have also been a number of time the headset disconnects after various time periods causing DCS to crash. 

I suspect these issues are all related so I hope a fix is provided soon. Thanks. 

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 2 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Calvin.Pimax said:

A hotfix patch is on its way. While I can't promise it will completely resolve your problem, based on my own observations, it appears that there are abnormalities in the USB connectivity within your setup.

This is good to hear because it's getting worse. You can depend on Eyetracking disengaging around 3 or 4 times per every 30 mins in DCS. Also there is no easy or sure-fire way to turn the headset on and off. As soon as I turn PC on, the PiPlay software asks to connect which I allow it to, then sometimes I have to manually turn the geadset on by holding the power button down for 4-5 secs and 'eventually' it 'may' connect; other times it just will not connect, causing a PC restart (I regularly check device manager to ensure a tick hasn't been put into the power saving box).

And shutting down ... it just will not stay shut down no matter what I try ... to select 'shut down' on piplay before sutting down, physically powering down, it will just come back on after a few seconds.

For £1500 (plus the plethora of extra accessories you 'have' to buy to gain a relatively non-painful experience), it's a complete mess of a headset ... it's becoming unenjoyable now with so so many shortcomings.

i9 14900K - ROG Maximus Z790 Hero - GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 - 64GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 XMP - Samsung 4TB SSD - Pimax Crystal - Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle & Joystick - VirPil AH-64D Grip - Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals 

15 hours ago, Calvin.Pimax said:

A hotfix patch is on its way. While I can't promise it will completely resolve your problem, based on my own observations, it appears that there are abnormalities in the USB connectivity within your setup.

I should also add that the connectivity is fine, no warning signs under USB ports in device manager, power saving boxes unticked, correct setup as per instructions and using USB2.0 instead of USB3.0. Power not an issue as I've a 1000W PSU.

The Crystal battery 'always' remains fully charged.