ATT Hold works, ALT Hold does not?

Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

Hi

I can get Attitude Hold (AT) to work and it shows up on the console.
However, Altitude Hold (AL) does not appear on the console and does not appear to engage?

What parameters must I be flying for (AL) Altitude Hold to engage?

i7-11800H @ 2.30GH | 16Gb 3200MHz | GeForce RTX 3060 | Samsung 1TB SSD | KINGSTON 520GB SSD

• ED Team
  • Solution

Please reference the FMC section of the DCS AH-64D Early Access Guide starting on page 186.

• Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

1 hour ago, AngryViper.101 said:

However, Altitude Hold (AL) does not appear on the console and does not appear to engage?

ALT Hold will not engage if you are pulling too much torque.  Without more info on what you were trying to do, it's hard to say what the issue was.  If the Guide doesn't help explain the parameters, post a track file and someone can take a look at what is going on.

6 minutes ago, Floyd1212 said:

ALT Hold will not engage if you are pulling too much torque.  Without more info on what you were trying to do, it's hard to say what the issue was.  If the Guide doesn't help explain the parameters, post a track file and someone can take a look at what is going on.

Hi thank you!
I noticed around 50% torque (assuming you mean) collective?
when I push up the collective to around 60% + it disengages!
thanks! very new to learning the AH 64 ...

i7-11800H @ 2.30GH | 16Gb 3200MHz | GeForce RTX 3060 | Samsung 1TB SSD | KINGSTON 520GB SSD

mmm does not seem to be purely a case that when my collective is 50% < that it will engage...

it is engaging (the ALT hold) more frequently now that I use lower collective, but does not seem to be purely related to collective %?

• ED Team
18 minutes ago, AngryViper.101 said:

but does not seem to be purely related to collective %?

Of course not. Collective position within the axis has no bearing on the altitude hold engagement criteria, as described in the Early Access Guide location that I stated above.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 1:34 PM, AngryViper.101 said:

Hi thank you!
I noticed around 50% torque (assuming you mean) collective?
when I push up the collective to around 60% + it disengages!
thanks! very new to learning the AH 64 ...

You got to disable/enable ALT hold again. do not exceed [99] torque. try reducing it slightly and keep trying the ALT hold, you will get the "feel" for it. %.

Whenever you are heavy /light make, the % of torque will be higher /less, pay attention to the "Ground Effect vs Out of Ground Effect" and make sure you are not that heavy and not too high where the aircraft loses lift. in this case you got to fly in circles so you don't lose "lift". If you are flying at lower altitudes where the air is denser, sure, try to stabilize the " I>"  icon on the right for the altitude. then hit ALT HOLD and refrain from pulling /pushing the collective unless you need to. (for masking/un-masking) ( bob-up/bob-down)

if you want to stay in hover those are my advices, but you can test the limits later, after you get the hang of it and plan accordingly.!

I wish you all the best on your safe training and safe flights! have fun!