Strange crash since today

Whenever i start DCS. it loads to the screen saying "15 years of DCS" and than crashes back to Windows.

Last time i flew, all was fine and computer was shut down normally and no issues during flying.

This morning when i tried to start, i was using my Quest 2 and rembered the post about the new update for the headset, which causes DCS not to start, however even if i start from Steam, same thing happens. Loads till the screen saying "15 years of DCS" and bang, i'm back in Windows. I have not installed anything, changed settings, downloaded stuff, except for updating SRS, but i don't think this is causing it

So far i tried to:

* reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable Packages

* renamed DCS folder in "Saved Games"

* run repair

*completely whiped DCS and reinstalled

But whatever i tried, nothing seems to work and DCS simply won't launch. Other games run just fine. I don't know what else i could try

Sytem:

* Windows 11 Home 23H2

* Amd Ryzen7 5800X3D

* Amd RX7900XT

* 64Gb DDR 4

* DCS runs on it's own M.2 SSD

Edit: i just went to Steam and it appears there are more players reporting the same issue

dcs.log dcs.log.old DxDiag.txt

Edited by Falconeer

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

I still think this is the Oculus PTC issue. The old log stops at exactly the point where the VR should load in.

The newer log just stops with a message that Steam requested a restart.

Does it run if you start in screen rather than VR mode?

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

2 minutes ago, hornblower793 said:

I still think this is the Oculus PTC issue. The old log stops at exactly the point where the VR should load in.

The newer log just stops with a message that Steam requested a restart.

Does it run if you start in screen rather than VR mode?

If i run from Steam and select standard launch, it still doesnt run

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

Please could you attach the log for trying to run with standard launch

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I forgot that i had forced the open VR and openXR commands. After removing those, DCS does launch, so it might be Meta update?

dcs.log

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

I think so - open Oculus and uncheck PTC (I think, but I no longer run an Oculus headset)

It is unchecked

• F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

The same for me - crash after DCS Loading Screen 15 dcs.logyears

Not able to start the game - every version crashes

Update: I'have contacted the oculus support, same as last time. They say its not an oculus caused issue. Iam so happy that i haven't upgraded to a quest 3 - never again this sh. products from meta....

Edited by LOW_Hitman
  • Like 1

i9-9900K / Bios Profile XMP1 / Rog Strix Z-390F Gaming / Zotac Geforce RTX-3070ti Trinity OC / 32GB HyperX Fury 2666 / Saitek X52 HOTAS / Pico 4

From other posts it looks like UNCHECKING PTC is not longer going to solve the issue.  The 0.64 version is now the full release version.  And I think just having it installed on your computer is going to mess with DCS starting (VR usage or not).

I get the hate for Meta over this, but really it's hard to put blame somewhere specific with this one.  Beta can't test every possible game, so breaking DCS (since it seems to work with pretty much everything else) it's hard to say they should have "fixed" it.  On the other side, DCS can't be expected to test against every hardware combo (and every version of firmware/software) others are going to put out.  Yes, they had some warning that this was coming and they appear to be working on it, but as a percentage of total user base how many will this effect?  It's a lot easier to disrupt development (which pushing a hotfix would do) if it's effecting everyone rather than a small %.  Assuming they even have a fix ready yet, it's likely not a tiny change so it's going to take a bunch of testing before they can push it and separating this fix out from whatever else they've changed is probably a nightmare.

I do hope that ED does make this a priority though, since it's completely breaks things for those who are using Occulus.

• Thanks 1

vor 10 Minuten schrieb rob10:

From other posts it looks like UNCHECKING PTC is not longer going to solve the issue.  The 0.64 version is now the full release version.  And I think just having it installed on your computer is going to mess with DCS starting (VR usage or not).

I get the hate for Meta over this, but really it's hard to put blame somewhere specific with this one.  Beta can't test every possible game, so breaking DCS (since it seems to work with pretty much everything else) it's hard to say they should have "fixed" it.  On the other side, DCS can't be expected to test against every hardware combo (and every version of firmware/software) others are going to put out.  Yes, they had some warning that this was coming and they appear to be working on it, but as a percentage of total user base how many will this effect?  It's a lot easier to disrupt development (which pushing a hotfix would do) if it's effecting everyone rather than a small %.  Assuming they even have a fix ready yet, it's likely not a tiny change so it's going to take a bunch of testing before they can push it and separating this fix out from whatever else they've changed is probably a nightmare.

I do hope that ED does make this a priority though, since it's completely breaks things for those who are using Occulus.

totally agree!  But thats not the first time that a oculus update ruined DCS VR. Also tested warthunder a few minutes ago - also not starting - there are a few dll files the game didnt find?!?!? Its time to swich to a pico 4...

i9-9900K / Bios Profile XMP1 / Rog Strix Z-390F Gaming / Zotac Geforce RTX-3070ti Trinity OC / 32GB HyperX Fury 2666 / Saitek X52 HOTAS / Pico 4

Exact same issue, i uninstalled oculus app and reverted options.lua to oringinal 'out of the box' settings. DCS ran fine in 2D. Reinstalled Oculus without changing a single thing and the problem returned. Checked my Quest 2 and lo and behold, it had updated this morning, at the exact time the issue started. 100% a Meta update issue

• Like 1