How to use VR with DCS?

Flogger23m

Have an HTC Vive. Plugged it into the HDMI slot on my GPU, monitor is running through Display Port.

I have DCS set to VR mode, and when launching DCS it displays on the monitor in an odd aspect ratio when in VR mode. I also get audio in the Vive headset. Although I cannot seem to get visuals to show in the headset. What must be done to get DCS World to display video through the headset?

I also find it amazing that there seemingly isn't a single tutorial that explains how to get video output display in VR for DCS.

Edited by Flogger23m

I have a different headset but for me, I put on the headset and enable link cable which displays a menu of things I have ran before. I start DCS from there or I lift up my headset and mouse click the icon.

On 3/13/2024 at 12:32 AM, Flogger23m said:

I also find it amazing that there seemingly isn't a single tutorial that explains how to get video output display in VR for DCS.

There's a dedicated VR sub forum in the PC hardware section, have you looked there?  YouTube also might be a good source as well.

Both have been a wealth of knowledge for me over the years when I have VR questions.

Good luck.  VR was/is a complete game changer for me, and I won't ever go back to 2D.  The immersion is amazing.

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

On 3/13/2024 at 5:32 AM, Flogger23m said:

What must be done to get DCS World to display video through the headset?

I usually start my Vive via Steam first (which will run the SteamVR Home app). I then switch the Audio back to normal (I don't like the Vive's headset)

Then I start DCS, and I'm presented with multiple option, TWO of them relating to start DCS in Steam VR (one as single-threaded, one as multi-threaded). I usually choose MT (you will have to scroll down the options, especially if you also get the Oculus Options which I do NOT use).

And yeah, once you go VR there is no turning back. DCS is the killer app for VR (well, that, and Alyx). MS can't touch this.

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1