Struggling With Weapons

Joshua

I have a couple of questions, if anyone can help :

1. The sim features a "game" mode, and a "simulator" mode. I just want to know on witch of of these two modes the training in BS is based on.

2. For some reason I cannot get my rockets or missiles to fire or work in any way. I also cannot lock onto anything. I try to follow everything as close as possible, but still nothing. Can anyone give me a short description on how this is done. Even just the basic keys I need to press, please.

I'm playing in game mode, as I am new to BS. I can do all the basics already, like take-off, flying, waypoints, landing, ATC, ect. It's just locking on targets and using the weapons.

Thanks

The training is in simulator mode.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Are you using a Joystick or HOTAS?

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

It's not 'press' it's 'press and hold', a rather important distinction ;)

Most people expect weapons to come off the rails without delay, which is not the case here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'm using a joystick. Thanks for all the help. I do get the C symbol on the HUD. What do you mean with "press the release button". I can only use the cannon, the rockets and missiles does not work, or I do not know how to select them.

Guys, I dont want to sound stupid, I really just need help here. For some reason I just cannot get things to work right.

Thanks again.

Go to the UI, then Options, then controls, and study the button commands. I believe they are in alphabetical order. It will have all the answers. You can also then assign those critical buttons to your joystick. You need to select the proper hardpoint to fire missiles or rockets. Hardpoint selection is in the button command list but I don't recall the command right off hand.

Dusty Rhodes

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

A list of possible problems:

- You have selected cannon mode, which will not permit you to fire other weapons.

- You have not engaged the master arm

- You have not selected the proper pylons (I think the keys are YIU, but look'em up)

- You pressed the trigger for those weapons but didn't hold it down.

- You're trying to use cannon trigger to launch those weapons

I suggest you review the manual or at least the weapon input portion of the game setup within the game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I just looked and I and Y select the inner and outer hardpoints. For missiles you then have to get targetting system lined up with your locked target which will produce a "C" in your HUD and you can fire the missile by holding down the fire button. You should be able to fire rockets just by firing them and without locking a target or any extra effort.

EDIT: And as GG said, make sure you have the Master Arm ON.

Dusty Rhodes

Joshua, I'm at the same point as you. I just looked at the producers notes on Weapons, the first one. It will help you. The only thing not covered is how to manually move around the TV (Shval) to lock up targets. Maybe that's in the next prod. note. In weapons training, It's neat how you can use Track IR to move the TV to lock up targets, but I need a better understanding on how to do it WITH PRECISION. That's what's giving me problems now.

Good luck to you.

Precision comes with practice in simulation like this.

Dusty Rhodes

hey bro if you want some help with your wpns sys and still don't find what you need come over to ka50.com logon to there ts server and i'll help ya out with the wpns sys...hell we all start somewhere and we all need help now an then..so feel free to stop by..we'll make a swamp donkey out of ya... i'm on the Ka50.com server most nights after 9:30 est...5x5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Dusty, you're absolutely right, and I'm being patient, mostly learning to fly and learning some of the MANY nuances of flight. And, loving it. BUT, as I'm watching the weapons 1 Prod. note AGAIN, There's about 15 seconds of video that is the most crucial, starting around 7:45 when the guy says "I'm gonna slew my camera to the target...." in the HUD there's a circle "....bring it down,...set the target to the right...." Then he's moving SOMETHING to get the square on target and get "TA" on screen. He says nothing of how he's doing that. Is that with cyclic? Same with the in game training, they don't tell you what you need to do in certain, what I think are important, situations. Like how to slew the camera to the target. I think that's important.:doh: Also, in that note, at the same time he's doing this, it looks like he's zooming in and out to get a precise lock on the target. He could mention how he's doing it. It would be helpful if he did. Sure these are little things, but would be very helpful to people just starting out, like me. In three days I might laught at myself for not knowing how to slew the camera or zoom in/out, but today it would help a lot. :joystick:

Just a few comments from a noob...

NismoRR, that's the three buttons to the left of the right shift key, plus the one right of the L key. (I use a swedish keyboard and don't recall what's on them keys on international keyboards.)

Cyclic is the stick, controlling the variable angle of the rotor blades depending on where they are in the rotation, allowing you to maneuver the helicopter. Unrelated.

The zooming is left of the backspace key.

Targeting box resizing is just below the zooming keys.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Nis, the training is pretty decent but it does lack in some details where as it gives other details that we as simmers couldn't give a rats rear about. To get the TA, you slew your skhval using the key commands that you will find in options controllers, or using your HOTAS if you have the keys mapped. You then point the Helo at the target to get the TA and ultimately the "C" which clears you to fire. He is zoomining in and out using the Skhval zoom of 7x and 23x which you will find key commands for also in the key command list under options/controllers.

He is using TrackIR 3 or 4 which is a must in flight simming so you don't have to use a hat switch on your HOTAS which is imprecise.

The training is adequate for someone who has taken the time to read the manual and read and maybe even already mapped them to the the HOTAS. It does not help much if you have not educated yourself in those area's though. This is a study sim which means you have to study this bad puppy to get all out of it. Even since it's release there is still stuff I am stumped about: ABRIS, PVI 800, etc. But I have come proficient enough to fly the machine and barely sufficient to fight the machine. Gotta love the learning curve. If you don't have time to put into it, put it away because it will be a practice in frustration otherwise.

In the meantime, ask questions and I and others will help you all we can but you will likely get referred back to the key command list and training a lot.

• Like 1

Dusty Rhodes

You're stumped about the PVI? Seriously?

I'm always surprised when people can't understand it - how come? I'm genuinely curious to know what the roadblock is.

To me it is a simple device: It stores a bunch of coordinates, and builds a nav route based on those, and it will display them to you in different ways according to your selections on the PVI - it will also use some of those stored coordinates to point your SHKVAL at them (Target Points) - is the problem for you the concept or the execution?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No it is just that I haven't delved into it yet. Just when I was going to learn it and ABRIS, I started mission building and never got back to it. I want to learn PVI 800 especially because of the Target Reference Points. That way I can draw a range card in my head with the TRP's and fight more efficiently and in my lane of responsibility. I'll get it down when I get to some serious flying but right now I am waiting for the patch to come out to do anything else besides fly around and stay proficient in flying and fighting the machine with what I already know.

Dusty Rhodes

One really neat use of the TP's is that your buddy playing scout can lock up a target, store the TP and send it to you, and your shkval will likely have a very accurate placement on a target you're not in LOS with yet ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good discussion...Bingo...just got my first targets!!!! :) WOOOHoooo! For whatever reason, I couldn't get the "C" to come up in the HUD when I had missiles, but switched to guns and was fine. This was in the training mission so will pratice more in the shooting range later. Really looking forward to it. BS is amazing in that the more you fly, the better it gets!!! I'm sure you guys know what I mean.

Got the keys (: , . /) [ ] to manipulate the box for the Skhval and all was good. I went to the key commands and got it. VERY cool!!!!! Now I'm happy. Also very neat is using the helmet mounted target finder (H) with TIR4. Very sweet indeed.

Slowhand, I'll be taking look over there in the evenings. Thanks for the invite man! I want to have a few basics before I get into multiplay, but they're coming. See you there soon.

Etherreal and Dusty, thanks for all your helps guys. You've both been very helpful this first week, and it's very much appreciated. Just bumped your reps.

If you couldn't launch your missiles, you may not have had the correct pylon selected; you may not have engaged your laser, or you might simply be out of range parameters (too far, too close).

Finally, to launch the vikhr, you must line up the circles and KEEP them lined up while you hold the weapons release button down ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]