Virtual desktop problem -DCS only launch in "Big Screen" mode.

RedHot

I just bought my Quest3 headset, and got all to work fine with Quest link -cable. However, I also installed Virtual desktop, and started to explore the new features there. It lookes like VD can boost performance, so I decided to use VD with the VDXR runtime instead of the QuestLink app.

I use the Steam version of DCS. But when launching DCS in VD with the VDXR runtime, it stays in big scree mode. So the game launches just fine, and I can start a mission, but it does not go into VR mode. It sort of stays in the VD app, like I have it on my physical screen

I have tried to launch DCS from the VD game menu, from the Steam app in VD and from a MT shortcut on the VD desktop. I have also tried to add --force_enable_VR --force_oculus_VR to the path in the shortcut, and in the steam properties for DCS.

So, I am running out of options here. Semes really strange that something so good as the new VD with VDXR does not work because the game only stay in "big screen mode". Any help on this comes highly appreciated

2 minutes ago, RedHot said:

I use the Steam version of DCS. But when launching DCS in VD with the VDXR runtime, it stays in big scree mode.

Have you tried running VD through steam as the open xr runtime? 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

vor 23 Minuten schrieb RedHot:

--force_oculus_VR

At least this part is absolutely detrimental to what you want to achieve. This extension means, that you want to force DCS to run via the OculusAPI (as opposed to OpenXR or SteamVR). And as far as I understand this would only work via MetaLink (Cable or Air).

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

Hmmm. Interesting. Will try without the «—force_oculus_vr», and revert. Here is a perspective: I have set VD to run VDXR and to use the Quest3 codec. I understand from all the videos out there that the entire point is to avoid SteamVR. This semes to be working just fine. VD launches and the imagery in the Quest3 is absolutely fantastic. So, I recon that the problem must sit with DCS and not VD. In some way I have to be able to tell DCS to start in VR mode -inside of the already exsisting VR which VD is streaming to my headset. What confuses me is that DCS launches just fine in VR mode, when I use the QuestLink app. However, then I miss out on all the benefits of VD and VDXR.

PS. I have installed the Oculus Tray Tool, and I have checked the «Enable VR headset» option in the DCS VR tab. I have not installed the openXR app.

14 hours ago, RedHot said:

In some way I have to be able to tell DCS to start in VR mode -inside of the already exsisting VR which VD is streaming to my headset

That is correct. My routine is launch 1/ Virtual Desktop streamer on the PC, 2/ Launch VD on the headset, 3/ Connect, 4/ On the virtual desktop screen that is displayed in the headset once connected, launch DCS from the Windows start menu or any shortcut to wherever the dcs.exe is on your PC. And that's it, really, it just works.

No command line option needed (just "use VR" checked in DCS options but if it works with the QuestLink app, I assume it is checked already). The only thing that I can think off is to check that OpenXR runtime is set to VDXR in the options of the Virtual Desktop streamer (on the PC). That, or the Quest software is somehow messing up the VR subsystem even if it is not invoked.

5800X3D - 6950XT - Pico 4

Posted (edited)

So guys, finally got this resolved. Thks for chipping in. This is what made the trick

0. Unchecked the "Enable VR" box in the DCS VR settings tab. (I had to start DCS in 2D using the --force_disable_VR argument. Otherwise DCS would chrash after the NVIDIA prompt)

1. Closed the Oculus app (The new 63v of the app is creating a lot of problems for Quest users and are preventing DCS from starting. VD is the easiest workaround)

2. Removed all "--force_oculus, --force _VR arguments from Steam and the desktop shortcuts

2. launched VD (Quest3 codec, VDXR runtime)

3. Opened DCS in headset from Steam, selecting the "open in MT Oculus VR Mode" option

PS. Only issue I have not got my head around, is that although I select the Quest3 Codec in VD settings (PC), the Codec in the VD game overlay shows HEVC. So for some reason VD changes the Codec when DCS starts.

Edited by RedHot