Solo DCS Tips by RUNE

RUNEofORM

If you fly DCS solo like I do. Then here are some tips and tricks you can do to make your experience better. 

First thing I wanted to share was how to set up enemy AI Warbirds. Its often hard to fight AI warbirds do to AI units using a much more simplified flight model and having a full 360 vision out to miles. As you fight your own planes limitations. AI planes get to bank climb without issue. Know exactly where you are at all times and will always end up on your tail. As a solo player you have no buddy to tell you that you have someone on your tail. This fixes that. It has a number of steps but once you do it a few times its easy. 

1. Lets first add Mist to the mission. This is a rather standard step for mission making. Not sure if this step is required for what fallows but its just what I do each mission anyway. 01.jpg

2. Now let's place a red plane and call it Red 1. Will remove all its default advanced waypoint actions. Its better to add them yourself one at a time. 

04.jpg

3. Will need to add some triggerable actions. Weapons Hold and Weapons Free. 05.jpg

4. Next step is to add some trigger zones. One will name Red 1 Vision and make it 6000 feet. This will give Red 1 about a mile "vision" once we add the triggers. Make sure to place this zone right on the pilot's head and link it to the plane (Red 1). This will make the zone move with the linked unit. 02.jpg

5.Now make a zone and call it Red 1 Check 6. This zone should be around 1500 feet but you can adjust to what best fits your needs. This zone will be placed out front of the Unit it will be linked to (Red 1). I find it better to add a waypoint so you will have a line to use as a guide. 03.jpg

6. Now we get to the triggers and scripting. Red 1 vison Hold will make it so as long as you're not inside that vision zone. Red 1 will revert to waypoint flying. 06.jpg

7. Red 1 Vison Free on the other hand. It Is set up so as long as you're inside that mile distance. Red 1 will stay hostile. AI will follow you and do all the things a hostel unit would try and do. But now if you manage to get outside of that zone for long enough. Red 1 will switch back to weapons Hold and go back to flying waypoints. Tell you get inside that zone again.  07.jpg

8. So Check 6 fixes a issue I always had. With no other player around you have no one to warn you that some one is on your tail. When you are inside that much smaller Check 6 zone. You get a message warning you are inside the weapons arc and distance of Red 1. 08.jpg

9. Now let's address AI plane's ability to out fly you at all times. The fix is to add weight to Red 1. You could add max fuel and bombs on most planes. But it can be silly to be fighting a plane that has a bunch of 500lbs bombs. This script will tack on 1000kg with no outer change of the plane.  09.jpg

10.jpg

You can change that number to whatever you want. I find that 1000 extra kg will be enough to push planes past the Max takeoff weight. But not so high that plane can't fly. 

11.jpg

As you can see Iv moved out into Red 1 check 6 zone. In this case I was ok as Id already critically damaged Red 1. You can repeat these steps for all AI planes and you will find that dog fights will be much more reasonable. 

Edited by RUNEofORM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Two ways. One if for any reason you have a mistake in the Sandbag script. You will get a error popup. This will freeze up game for a bit but will not crash. Other way is to up the 1000 to say 9000 and watch the fun. Planes falling out of the sky.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have an example mission to share with us?

PC specs:

Intel Core i7-13700K [Raptor Lake 3.4GHz Sixteen-Core LGA 1700] (stock clock)/64.0 GB RAM/RTX 3080 GPU (stock clock)/Windows 10 Home/SSD Drives/T.Flight HOTAS X/HP Reverb G2

Ya I can make a example mission and post it. Ill use the free planes. Also I have worked out a advanced version of it to work with jets. By adding forward Weapons/radar zone. sizing it up to a given radar range. Prevents that crazy MiG 21 some how knowing that you 70 miles away is not only a contact but a enemy and starts racing at you at full speed. But say your inside a reasonable distance in its front area sure it will go Weapons Hot and maybe fire. 

I am a die hard Solo DCS user. No true love for multiplayer servers so that is why I am constantly working on making DCS do what I want to get out of it. Lot of this can be used in multi or Coop play. Feel free to use anything I post any way you like. I am just showing things I have come up with using the tools at hand.

• Like 1

Screen_240414_022626.jpg

Ok so here we go. For Jets I changed a few things around. Now Vision and Check 6 zones I make bigger. As modern Jets have far better pilot visibility and planes are moving much faster. The Radar box zone I extend out to a reasonable distance for that planes intercept radar. Not the theoretical limits but what would be a normal distance for a good detection. In this example The AI MiG will go weapons free if you are within 15 miles or so. You may be tempted to make this shape into a cone. Do not. It will not work. DCS will auto flip it so the large side will be at the AI plane and the point will be out away. I am posting this little demo of it working for guys to try it out. The Player plane is a F-5 but you can swap out that for any plane you would like. The MiG 21 is set as a delay spawn. Once in mission you will find a F10 menu option to bring it in. Iv saddled it with a 1500kg sandbag script. So It can fight (turn and climb) but more closer to your Player plane ability rather than a Cheating AI simpler flight model. As long as you are not in its vison or radar zones it will switch back to Weapons hold and lose track of you. When it switches over to weapons free you will get a "I see you" message. Then you know its on the hunt for you. 

RUNEofORMdemo.miz

Iv started to post this stuff over at the Mission Editor Tutorial forum as its more appropriate over modding. I do use mods a lot. But the core of my tips are based in what vanilla DCS has.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rune! I'll try it our tonight!

PC specs:

Intel Core i7-13700K [Raptor Lake 3.4GHz Sixteen-Core LGA 1700] (stock clock)/64.0 GB RAM/RTX 3080 GPU (stock clock)/Windows 10 Home/SSD Drives/T.Flight HOTAS X/HP Reverb G2