Can not save Keyboard Bindings for DCS Aircraft

Go to solution Solved by MAXsenna,

I can't save my keyboard bindings. I can save my throttle and joystick bindings with no problem.

When I try to save the keyboard bindings, I click the keyboard column and then click "Save profile as". Up comes the dialog box, I enter a file name and click "OK". The dialog box closes, but the file is not written into InputUserProfiles. (Note that I can save the keyboard bindings for the VSN F-4, which is a freeware community mod.)

Why is this a problem?

Many actions do not have default keyboard bindings. You can still bind your joystick/throttle controllers to those actions (and save the profiles) but if you add new keyboard bindings for those actions you can not save the new keyboard bindings. You are using the modified keyboard commands, but if you have to reload your system you will be left with starting over with the default bindings.

In particular, VoiceAttack converts your speech into keyboard commands, requiring you to add new keyboard bindings for desired actions that are not bound to the keyboard by default.

Help! How can I save my keyboard bindings?

Intel i7-11700K, 32GB RAM, RTX 3080, Warthog Joystick and Throttle
Win 11 Pro fully updated, DCS MT fully updated

I can't save my keyboard bindings. I can save my throttle and joystick bindings with no problem.
When I try to save the keyboard bindings, I click the keyboard column and then click "Save profile as". Up comes the dialog box, I enter a file name and click "OK". The dialog box closes, but the file is not written into InputUserProfiles. (Note that I can save the keyboard bindings for the VSN F-4, which is a freeware community mod.)
Why is this a problem?
Many actions do not have default keyboard bindings. You can still bind your joystick/throttle controllers to those actions (and save the profiles) but if you add new keyboard bindings for those actions you can not save the new keyboard bindings. You are using the modified keyboard commands, but if you have to reload your system you will be left with starting over with the default bindings.
In particular, VoiceAttack converts your speech into keyboard commands, requiring you to add new keyboard bindings for desired actions that are not bound to the keyboard by default.
Help! How can I save my keyboard bindings?

One gets mislead. You don't need to "save per say". The Save function is just for backup/export. When you click "OK". Everything is saved. If you happen to save as a file, and then click "Cancel", your changes are not saved.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Backup is exactly what I am trying to do. I know that the changes persist when I exit with OK but if I have to reinstall DCS I need to be able to recover my custom keyboard bindings.

• Solution
Backup is exactly what I am trying to do. I know that the changes persist when I exit with OK but if I have to reinstall DCS I need to be able to recover my custom keyboard bindings.
Just copy the input folder under Saved Games

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Aha! Found it in Saved Games > DCS > Config > Input.

Thank you MAXsenna!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 6:40 PM, jwblair said:

I click the keyboard column and then click "Save profile as". Up comes the dialog box, I enter a file name and click "OK". The dialog box closes, but the file is not written into InputUserProfiles.

Actually what Save and Load Profile does is allow you to load a configuration from one module to another. They’d have to be universal commands for it to work well. For example you could assign toe brakes and response curves to your rudder pedals and load them into any module from one to another. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5