Ships need primary and secondary batteries

upyr1

Since there is at least one gun cruiser on the way, I expect and hope to that the ED moderators team will tag this as already planned but in the lua tags and waypoint action drop downs I'd love to see see primary and secondary cannon as options. 

• Like 1

Basically more detailed modeling for ships. I agree, though they can be quite complex to model in full.

As far as waypoint actions why not a decision matrix for all the aspects on the ship that we can control? So for example:

Use primaries? Yes against large ships, No against small ships

Use secondaries? Yes against large ships, Yes against small ships

Use radar? Yes when no friendly ships within 20 miles

etc

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2024 at 8:29 AM, Exorcet said:

Basically more detailed modeling for ships. I agree, though they can be quite complex to model in full.

As far as waypoint actions why not a decision matrix for all the aspects on the ship that we can control? So for example:

Use primaries? Yes against large ships, No against small ships

Use secondaries? Yes against large ships, Yes against small ships

Use radar? Yes when no friendly ships within 20 miles

etc

Range would also be a factor. The Iowa-class battleships only sank 2 ships one was a light cruiser hit by Iowa's 16-inch shells. With land targets there needs to be a slightly different matrix.

Also an improvement for all artillery would be spotters 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Can't one use primaries against small ships? They might not be the priority, but they are still viable targets. Didn't Tirpitz destroy an X-Craft using its main battery?

when it comes to AI you have to set up clear rules, so I would like more information about this particular incident and what the standard operating procedures said to do. Anyway, enabling the mission builder to pick the proper battery is more important when it comes to pre-planned shore bombardments. 

Ah, my mistake - X5 was likely destroyed by a secondary! But an example of 16" guns used against destroyers can be seen in Operation Hailstone (for example).

Secondaries were also used for shore bombardment often (that seems to be very well documented).

Edited by Avimimus

20 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Ah, my mistake - X5 was likely destroyed by a secondary! But an example of 16" guns used against destroyers can be seen in Operation Hailstone (for example).

Secondaries were also used for shore bombardment often (that seems to be very well documented).

The last time that I know for a fact a battleship fired her secondary battery in anger was New Jersey during her Vietnam deployment. More often than not the secondaries were dual purpose.