Can't decide on Winwing HOTAS or Thrustmaster?

maverick90

I fly mostly the F14, F16 and F18 in DCS and wanted to upgrade to a HOTAS setup. I have a few questions and concerns.

1. Will I need to buy seperate HOTAS for each of the planes I want to fly or is it universal? (Example: If I bought a HOTAS for F18 will I also be able to use it to fly the F16, F14,etc.?)
  2. Should I go with Winwing or Thrustmaster?
  3. I don't own a flight sim rig so how what would be the best way to mount my throttles and flight stick to my desk? (I don't use my computer strictly for DCS but also for work, so I can't have a dedicated flight rig or anything)

I own the Orion 2 with the F-15EX grips and believe this is usable in a good way for a lot of planes because of the amount of switches and knobs. Coming from the Warthog I find this superior. I don´t know the Winwing bases, have the Virpil CM3 one, which is definitely better than the Warthog base. Combined with the A-10C/F-16C Thrustmaster stick this is the perfect combo for me. So generally I would put Virpil into the account as well, the throttle is good based on posts I read. The Orion 2 is more flexible in regards to grips.

Desk mount wise have a look for monstertech, they have very good desk mounts.

Edited by xoxen
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

If you're going Winwing

The Orion2 18 would suffice F14 and 18 almost perfectly, but the F15EX gives you a bit more options for other planes

The F16 throttle isn't much of an option for dual engine planes, whereas Orion2 could probably stand in for an F16 throttle (it's also a little more expensive than the F15EX)

For the stick I'd suggest the 16EX stick for more controls for the F16, again, it can stand in for other planes (It's also a little cheaper than the 18 stick)

• Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

owned the TM throttle for around 3 weeks just to use it  with the A10c, it was used but in perfect condition, sold it when the F15e handles showed up for the orion2 , the thrust master is serviceable but the lack of buttons on the base really sucked, the handles felt cheap and plastic. I got some 2060 aluminum from amazon and a toggle to move the mounts out of the way when I use my desk. just got the virpil throttle but have not used it for more then 20 minutes. got it used also for a great price local

20240420_090335.jpg

20240420_090321.jpg

Edited by Jeb

I9-9900k, 32MB, RTX2070S, 2560x1440 165hz monitor, track IR, Grass Monkey wireless Puck, Virpil T50-CM3,  Winwing Superlibra stick with Hornet and Viper grip, Winwing Orion2 with Hornet, and F15E grip, Winwing PTO, home made 2060 mounts,  Virpill ACE interceptor pedals

Ypu will be fine with Winwing. The stick base is much better than the Thrustmaster.
I also own the Orion 2. The Throttle Base is always the same and not airplane-specific, the grip is airplane-specific, choose the one you like the best or which you fly the most.
When it comes to the stick and base, the Stick is the only thing that is "replica", base is also the same.

i also have a desk i use for other games or work and made a cheap mount. Maybe its useful to you.

Ryzen7 5700X 8x3,4GHz (Turbo 4,6 GHz)  ||  G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600MHz  ||  Geforce RTX 3060Ti (8GB VRAM) ||  WD Black 500GB NVME  || Windows 10 64Bit
WinWing Orion 2 HOTAS 18  ||  LG Ultragear 32' WQHD  ||  EyeCam IR Headtracking