Virpil Shift Tool- Is it limited to 6 functions over all virpil devices or per device?

I have Virpil CM3 throttle, Control panel 2 and CM3 base/Alpha grip.  I would like to configure my Control panel lights to reflect my landing gear position and perhaps master arm status etc but I would also like to configure the throttle to have 5 modes, such as take off/landing, ground attack, air to air mode etc.

The tutorials I have seen on youtube all have control panel attached to throttle as slave and they all specify that you must not be in 5 way mode of throttle to be able to configure landing lights for gear position.

If you attach Control panel as stand alone are you still limited to 6 Shift states over all Virpil devices in use or only 6 between throttle and control panel when attached in slave mode?

As an aside- I am blown away with the power of the Virpil Configuration software ,BUT given that power I wish there were more detailed documentation provided by Virpil.

I am not quite sure what your main question is but here's a brief summary of what you can do with shift states:

1. You can connect Throttle as a standalone device and Control Panel 2 (CP2) as a standalone device and make CP2 LEDs switch their colours based on the gear lever positions. You can also configure Throttle so that its LED's switch colours based on the 5 way mode switch position. In such case both devices will switch their colour independently.

2. You can daisy-chain Throttle and CP2 to each other and make LEDs in both devices switch colours based on 5-way mode switch OR gear lever position, but not both.

I can help with any of these 2 options if needed. Can't suggest any others but you can address your question at virpil's forum which is more active as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

Thank You, I think you answered it.

I would like to have the lights of the plane diagram on the CP2 change color based on gear lever position and at the same time have the throttle led's change based on which of the 5 modes are selected.

In that case I will need to install both throttle and CP2 as stand alone and not primary/slave. In standalone connection the LED's of the CP2 will not change in sync with the LED's of the throttle depending on mode state.

I was confused because all examples of setting up the landing gear lights said that the throttle could not be configured in the 5 way mode. It would seem that the only benefit of connecting the CP2 in slave mode is that it saves one USB port. Fortunately I just upgraded my PC to a mid tower from a laptop and I now have enough USB ports on the motherboard that I don't need to use USB ports for any of my flight gear.