XR Neck Safer not working?

I upgraded to the Pimax Crystal Light, and ever since my XR Necker Safer has stopped working. I can see the pilots head move left or right in the mirror but my view doesn't change, it worked perfectly fine with my G2, and still works perfectly fine within IL-2. DCS is listed in the app screen along with IL-2. Any advice on how to get this working again, sure would be appreciated.

a couple of things one , make sure the api order is correct XRNeck safer should be first (top) in this tool Release v2024.01.17 · fredemmott/OpenXR-API-Layers-GUI (github.com)

second if you are some how using steam VR as an OPenXR provider then XRNecksafer will not work 

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

FWIW, the tool does not automatically suggest that ordering because while it may currently be necessary, it is not technically correct, and it can have visible problems. The most likely cause for "must be on top" requirements is bugs in the layer; if ordering is required for the game to work at all (to avoid crashes, "doesn't start in VR" etc) rather than just for 'correctness', this is especially likely to indicate a bug.

For these kinds of API layers that change how your real-world movement affects in-game movement, the 'correct' ordering is:

1. The game itself (not part of the list)
  2. Any other API layer
  3. API layers that *modify* what your hardware reports the state of your real-world input is, e.g. XRNS and XRMC
  4. API layers that are hardware drivers (e.g. the ultraleap driver)
  5. The runtime (not part of the list)

Using XRNS make it 'as if' you moved your head more - so  - again in theory - it should be as close to the driver that reports 'you moved your head this much as possible'.

In a correctly functioning world, the only difference layer order would have (other than the 'driver' kind like ultraleap) is "what parts of the stack are affected?" - for example, combined with OpenKneeboard, OpenKneeboard would either be locked to the real world (i.e. your room), or to the game world (i.e. your in-game rendered cockpit) depending on how it was ordered. Generally you want it anchored to the game world, so 'after openkneeboard' is theoretically correct outside of niche cases.

Edited by actually_fred
  • Thanks 1

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

20 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

a couple of things one , make sure the api order is correct XRNeck safer should be first (top) in this tool Release v2024.01.17 · fredemmott/OpenXR-API-Layers-GUI (github.com)

second if you are some how using steam VR as an OPenXR provider then XRNecksafer will not work 

Also, that link is rather outdated -  there's been 4 new versions since then. Please link to https://github.com/fredemmott/OpenXR-API-Layers-GUI/releases/latest in the future instead (as the text at the top says).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

Thank you actually_fred, I deleted my old version and upgraded to the beta5a version, which was a dream to install compared to the older versions. The only problem I'm having is when I look back it throws me outside the cockpit to one side or the other, any idea how to fix that? I just want to snap view 80* left and right behind me, to check my 6, nothing to elaborate. I have 3 fused vertebrate in my neck from a misspent youth, that limits my head rotation, so this app is absolutely awesome. Thx

Sorry, I don't use XRNS, and I'm unable to support other peoples' software.

My projects:

The settings can be really confusing. Here are my settings, start there and tweak.

Screenshot 2024-07-23 075355.png

Screenshot 2024-07-23 075807.png

Edited by Maddaawg
  • Like 1

Meta Quest 3, Intel i9-10900K, EVGA 3080Ti FTW3, Corsair 64GB DDR4 3200, ASUS ROG Strix z-490-E Gaming, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M2 NVME Windows 11 Drive, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M2 NVME Game Drive

• 2 months later...