Tower won't give clearance for Takeoff!

Belphe

Hi,

I cannot get a takeoff clearance from the Tower. I am correctly tuned in because e.g. controlled hover, azimuth and other F6 tree commands work (I get replies)... Why doesn't the Tower say anything after I ask them for Takeoff?

Thanks!

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you on the runway? Did you request Taxi first?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

No, I'm not... :/ Oops - I never thought that might be the reason (CAS helos have very basic bases, right? so I thought takig off from anywhere is fine! ;) ) but that might just be the case! :) Hmm, I think there should be a recorded sentence from the Tower saying "negative" or something like that...

BTW: what is the proper sequence of commands?

1) requset engine start

2) request taxi

3) request takeoff OR hover???

Or perhaps hover is used when "inbound" has been signaled and just before "requesting for landing" will???

Thanks!

Never say never, Baby!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, CAS helicopters often operate from FARPs, but that's a different thing. Those aren't really bases, they're just FARPs. :P

The sequence I use is:

1) Request engine start.

2) Request taxi

3) Request takeoff

I never really thought all that much about the Hover Tests. But the basic gist of it (from my understanding) is to ensure that your aircraft works when airborne. So it would be something you do before takeoff. (Indeed, many helicopter types - the ones without wheels - will actually be airborne when taxiing to the runway.)

EDIT: Agreed on a negative response, though. It would be neat with stuff like taxiway directions and such as well, though I am slightly unsure of how these things are handled in the military.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

1. Start aircraft

2. Ask ATC to taxi

3. Taxi to position

4. Ask ATC for hover test

5. Perform test

6. Set the aircraft back down on the runway

7. Ask ATC for takeoff clearance

8. Get outta dodge

If you skip step 6 ATC will not give you clearance.

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

But the basic gist of it (from my understanding) is to ensure that your aircraft works when airborne. So it would be something you do before takeoff. (Indeed, many helicopter types - the ones without wheels - will actually be airborne when taxiing to the runway.)

It sounds like it's similar to a run-up you would do in a fixed-wing aircraft. Not sure about jets and turboprops, but in light piston engine planes (Pipers, Cessnas, etc.) you taxi and hold short of the runway, point your nose into the wind, and rev the engine up to check the oil pressure, magneto condition, vacuum pump operation, etc.. If there's something wrong with the aircraft, it's better to find out about it then than when your engine quits at 400 feet, nose high, and out of runway to put it back down.

As they say, there are few things more useless to pilots than runway behind you and altitude above you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As they say, there are few things more useless to pilots than runway behind you and altitude above you.

Nice. That's just as good as my first day at college. My first class was an aviation class and the instructor started it off with a bit of humor.

"Class, you just have to remember the #1 rule of aviation .... don't hit anything"

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.