Total Power Draw with F16 setup....

Aronis

I've been running 3 MDF's, 3 USB panels, IPC, Takeoff Panel 2, Track IR headset emitter from a Xcellon 10-Port Powered USB 3.0 and it worked fine for several months.  I had the Throttle, Joystick, Rudder Pedals and TrackIR receiver plugged into the back of the PC.

I recently had the time to revisit DCS and ran into some issues after updating all the software. Particularly I started having may Disconnect/Reconnects after unplugging and updating each device and then plugging things back in in perhaps a different order.  I think I got it back but they it's just basically failing. I suspect the USB hub is being over taxed and has Died.

I ordered a 16 port hub yesterday.  It's spec is max 7.5 amps, but each port can put out 2.4 amps. I think the older unit is limited to 900 mamps on 7 of the ten ports, so I probably was over taxing them, suspect with the USB displays. I probably should have had them on the three "Charging ports."

So my question is......since winwingsim.com does not have that data listed, what is the expected amperage draw of each device??? 

Will the new hub, 90W Powered USB Hub - ACASIS 16 Ports USB 3.0 Data Port, provide enough power?

I really want all the DCS devices plugged into the HUB so I don't have to crawl on the floor behind my setup any more to update a device in SimApPro since it requires only the keyboard and mouse and device you want to update plugged in. Yes I finally labeled all the friggen wires too. 

Thank you,

Mike

(I guess I'll find out when I hook everything back up.)

Not sure what the actual specs are, but I have a full F-18 MIP setup with 3 screens plugged into a 7 port powered hub and haven't had any issues with it.  And I have a cheap powered hub with just a button box (some lights), wireless + wired mice and wired keyboard that has issues some times so YMMV 🙂.

I have the Top Gun Mip, UFC, ICP, 2 x Orion 2 sticks, Super Taurus throttle, Orion pedals, Collective, TO and CO panels.

All connected to 2 x powered 90w 10 port USB3 hubs. Updates are carried out on individual devices via a laptop

Make sure you connect your MIP screens side by side on the same hub!

Edited by MustangSally

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, 55" Samsung Odyssey Ark, Trackir

2 hours ago, MustangSally said:

I have the Top Gun Mip, UFC, ICP, 2 x Orion 2 sticks, Super Taurus throttle, Orion pedals, Collective, TO and CO panels.

All connected to 2 x powered 90w 10 port USB3 hubs. Updates are carried out on individual devices via a laptop

Make sure you connect your MIP screens side by side on the same hub!

Last night I Hooked it all up with the screens plugged into the three higher powered slots. Same issue. Disconnects while the  game is loading and again during play. Suspecting motherboard dying?? I’ll see if new hub fixes it. If I rebuild system it will be &1200 for motherboard and CPU. The rest I hope to re use. 

Mike

Update.

I installed at new 16 port USB hub. Plugged everything in to it, powered up each port,   Booted the computer.   Nothing disconnected.  Started DCS to first New Screen, nothing disconnected. Moved on to DCS and nothing disconnected. Looked good.  But when I started the plane in FIWOS it disconnected the controllers about half way through engine start up just after doing radio check.

I disabled any power managment in Windows for the USB ports.

This is very frustrating to debug.

I usually don't "update" programs which are working, but DCS updates on its own.  Now it's messed up.  Oh well.

Set up looks nice, just does not work.

Mike

HOT PLUG?  I'll have to look for that.

So I ran "Hardware and Device" trouble shooter from Terminal (Admin) msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnosis and that ran and just told me "windows updates are disabled" so I enabled it and let it run.  No reboot so I did not think anything was 'fixed.'

Fired up DCS and just went to "instant action", worked flawlessly for almost 2 hours.  So decided to fire up the Campaign, Mission 2, FIWOS, ran normally, it even briefly showed my wingman on the data link briefly, or I thought it did 02 behind me, did not last, the data link stopped showing my wingman, and just as I was getting ready to drop a JDAM on the first SA8, bang, disconnected my controllers.

Such a pain to trouble shoot.  So tomorrow I am going to try mission 3, maybe mission 2 is fubar?  I don't know.  

Mike

Hot Plug disabled. Still BRIEFLY disconnected but Reconnected immediately and the controllers still worked. That is different and better. Before when they disconnected I got messages in DCS “winwing disconnect” and the controllers would be off and the mini screens IN THE GAME DISPLAY in the cockpit would be off along with the USB displays   Tell me that’s not nuts. 

Tonight I Ran if briefly ( bbq dinner time) and it worked and did as above. But could continue mission. 

In also using a wired mouse with usb dongle for wireless mouse unplugged. That did not seem to do much as the disconnect still happed. 

disable hot plug may be the answer. 

more testing later. 

Mike. 

Confirmed. “Disable Hot Plug” fixed issue “good enough.” The Disconnects are brief without loss of function in combat. Data link still out. But at least I can fly the mission.