realistic seat position

leafer

The default one is a bit too far back; I can barely read the HUD. How close is realistic? I mean, how much of the instrument panel does a pilot see when he sits in a Ka?

Oh. And someone please tell me how to do loops in my Ka. I've gotten better. I'm capable of landing 2 out of 10 times now. <-- not a joke. I even accidentally did some tarmac drifting. Did I say how much I love this sim? :D

Edited by leafer

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

The default one is a bit too far back; I can barely read the HUD. How close is realistic?

HUD isn't simple transparent display, it is collimated (focused at infinity) display, which uses reflection or refraction to present data to the pilot. You won't notice the change in size of symbols in the HUD by changing position of your head (or seat), because they are focused at infinity (you can test this in real life by looking at car 500m away and moving your head back and forth 30cm - it won't look smaller or bigger to you because of this). If you want bigger HUD symbology, then zoom in (narrow field of view) and if you want crisp symbology at wide field of view, then increase the resolution your game runs at.

• Like 1

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

Oh. And someone please tell me how to do loops in my Ka.

Pull back on the cyclic until your helicopter falls over backwards. :)

That's pretty much it. It's a good idea to drop the collective to minimum when doing any kind of acrobatics to minimise the risk of a blade strike. That'll make you drop out of the sky so it's good to have some forward momentum before you start.

Regarding HUD size - what resolution are you running and on what sized monitor? Increasing the resolution should make it sharper, decreasing it will make it less sharp but would probably increase the physical size of it on your display.

I use the native 1680x1050 resolution on my 22" LCD and the HUD size is fine.

Oh. And someone please tell me how to do loops in my Ka.

In my experience you need at least 400m ground clearance to be able to recover after the loop without pulling the helo into a blade collision situation. After that you just need speed and a gentle hand when recovering, be sure not to pull more than 3 gs and be extra careful with the collective. Also try not to totally unload the rotor system (critical at the apex), it does not like sub 0 g situations.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I'm running BS at 1152x864 which appears to be the best balance - my comp seems very comfortable at this res and I barely get any stuttering until I explode. Surprisingly, BS runs ok at 1280x1024 but I did notice the fonts get a little blurry on the desktop and in-game. Weird. The thing I hate about zooming is I feel like I'm cheating. So I guess the default view is the realistic view then?

I have tried looping at safe alt and be as gentle as I could. Last time I went up to 12000 feet but I just can't get it to loop. I either ended up wobbling all over and had to hit F2 because I couldn't tell what the Ka was doing. OR I'd just snapped the rotors. I just can't seem to find the right balance. At first I thought it was because I was flying with the keyboard but even if I lightly tapped the key right around the apex, I would eat dirt regardless.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

The thing I hate about zooming is I feel like I'm cheating. So I guess the default view is the realistic view then?

If you wish to move the default head position closer to the HUD, (not zoomed in, your head position is moved forward, away from the seatback) it's possible to edit one or more of the lua files, see this:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=41125

I picked up several fps as well.

I wouldn't be shy about zooming, I use it all the time to zoom in on the Shkval screen, magnify those little dots into targets.

• Like 1

The thing I hate about zooming is I feel like I'm cheating.

You really mustn't feel that zooming in is cheating, I once read a book about military grade flight simulators and one of the issues discussed was the resolution one, that your monitor is simply not as high res as your actual vision. Also, there is the psychological effect of concentration, when you really look at something, it seems to be larger than it really is. Have you ever taken a photo of a plane, or maybe the moon, because it looked huge in the sky, and then when you get the photo back it looks very tiny?

The only current way to simulate this concentration effect is to make use of the zoom, so I wouldn't worry about it. There are so many effects and advantages that you do NOT get from being in an actual real helo that some concessions are inevitable and essential.

• Like 1