Help me get started

digitalJE5U5

Been playing games for 20 years. Started serious gaming with the Jane's sims, but then got into the Rainbow6 series, COD, BF...

But now Im wanting to get back into the flight sims. Just got a Saitek x52 pro, DCS Black Shark, Logitech g13 and a TrackIR 5 pro.

Anything else I need to get started?

One issue I ran into immediately is the sheer number of mappable commands and I cant seem to figure out how to print a cheat sheet for all the them that I can refer to while I get familiar with the setup.

Also, I have 2 monitor setup, but cant figure out a way to get anything into the 2nd monitor.

I would appreciate any tips you can give me getting started.

// Thanks

Hiya DJ, welcome back to the fold! :)

You could add some rudder pedals (saitek , or CH) if you wanted to complete that setup, but you definately have the most important parts (trackir and a hotas).

The best solution for the over-run of commands, in my opinion, is to write them down on a bit of paper...

I actually ended drawing a stick figure representation of my X52, and writing on the functions with a line going to each button, lol...

The easiest way to know what to map is to actually filter your commands in the options down to the contrls "INS Cyclic" and "INS Collective" , and map from there....maybe add a couple of extras like "uv26 start program" for flare dispencing.

At the end of the day though, apart from the Cyclic and Collective buttons, every other control is gonna be mouse-click in cockpit.

...you sure learn how to get a stable hover quickly enough when you have to heads down and cockpit click :)

There are quite a number of posts on the forum with very in depth info as to how to get the 2nd monitor working... a quick search should get you up and going

• Like 1

Hello Digital'man'walking'on'the'water :)

Looks like you've set yourself up with some nice gear - can it get any better than that (that was a rethorical question though - no need to reply) ;)

As for the other things you asked about ...

1.) Multimonitor support, I just answered thos for another bloke, here's a shortlist:

Treats like: Multi-Monitors in DCS? Easy

Or gems like: Dualview monitors?

Oh, this one is the general forum: For those with a single widescreen who want larger ABRIS/Shkval overlays

2.) As for getting into a soft start for DCS:BS

Advanced Checklist + Download

And a printout of the C:\Progam Files\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\Doc\DCS-BS_Key_Commands_Ka-50_real_eng.pdf

My own strategy was quite clear when I started. Learn how it's expected to operate.

Started off with "Real" right away (remember to change that nasty option in the settings where you sometimes get the "arcade" mode for some missions)

Did all the Training flights. Observed and learned. Next I would "take control" of the same missions - doing it while the instructor lead the way verbally.

Next I moved onto auto-startup vs manual startup (checklist and key printouts necesary). Did the WIN-HOME startup in my first few missions, to figure out what to expect - operational from startup vs the stuff that is turned off.

Moved onto practicing manual startsup there after.

Quick Tips for starters:

1.) CONTROL-ENTER, your friend to figuring out if your controls are way off due to trimming. The first thing you should enable.

2.) Learn what to expect from the Shkval. The correct procedure to make it stable for ground. And to prevent laser burnout with over targetting.

3.) Autopilot, or rather "damper mechanisms" - what to expect. When to trim - and how to trim.

After that you should be able to enjoy countless hours and hours of flying.

Good luck buddy :thumbup:

EDIT: (note to self - study spellchecker, dude)

(Another note to self - notice where the thread is started, this is multiplayer - not general)

Hm, not sure if I was abit off the scope you were looking for, mate. :unsure:

Edited by Panzertard
  • Like 1

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Thanks alot guys. I appreciate you taking the time to steer me in the right direction. I figure that the most important thing to do right away is get all the buttons sorted out so that is helpful.

I started off with the training missions, but I got overwhelmed :helpsmilie:because the trainer was going to fast to take notes, and if I looked down I missed the buttons he was flipping. I would at least like to learn how to do the manual startup, so the checklist you linked will be very helpful :book:

Thanks again to the both of you for the help.:thumbup:

Edited by digitalJE5U5

Yo Digi-christ there are also producer notes available on the DCS site as well as youtube.. these are very helpful for beginners and cover just about every section you could think of! Welcome to the group man!

CARRIER AIR WING EIGHT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BLACKLION 204

F-14D BuNo 163159

Fighter Squadron Two One Three

LCDR James "Rat" Trapp

http://www.cvw-8.org