Hold Position

GAJ52

I'm flying one of the Campaign missions in single player with the latest patch installed. Getting fed up with my idiotic wingman being shot down within minutes of getting near a danger zone, I used the 'Hold Position' command to keep him safe. After I had taken out all the air defence targets I thought it safe for him to join me and help clean up the rest of the targets. I issued a 'Engage my Target' command and pressed F2 to watch him attack the targets but he was about 15 to 20 km from where I told him to hold ?? The manual says he should initiate a hover at low altitude, not go on a sight seeing flight.

I appreciate a lot of work has gone into this sim which I am very grateful but the wingman AI needs some serious attention.

Glen

GAJ52

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.60GHz | 32 GB Ram | Win 10 Pro 64 | GTX 1080i 11.00MB | Saitek X52 Pro

Use the data link to assign your wingman targets. I found that it works better. Its also more realistic. I usually send him targets and then order him to engage datalink target group. Use the in game training to understand how it works.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

The only command I ever give my wingman is to attack ground target's when you're about 5-9nmi away. He usually does a good job....otherwise just pretend you don't have a wingman and if he dies it's ok because you never had him in the first place :-)

Actually the wingman is also good at giving you warning of enemy air threats..he usually is the one to warm me first. He's not that bad...eh?

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

Thanks for the advice

My main query was why doesn't he hold position. I have just tried it again as an experiment, I came to a hover with my wingman to my right and gave him the command to hold position, then pressed F2 twice to see what he did. He turned right about 90 degs and then continued flying in that direction ....why ?? He obviously hasn't read the flying manual because he's suppost to go into a low hover. I suppose I should be grateful he didn't turn left.

Glen

• Like 1

GAJ52

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.60GHz | 32 GB Ram | Win 10 Pro 64 | GTX 1080i 11.00MB | Saitek X52 Pro

This is probably the best way to address this issue:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=740496&postcount=2

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

Thanks for the advice

My main query was why doesn't he hold position. I have just tried it again as an experiment, I came to a hover with my wingman to my right and gave him the command to hold position, then pressed F2 twice to see what he did. He turned right about 90 degs and then continued flying in that direction ....why ?? He obviously hasn't read the flying manual because he's suppost to go into a low hover. I suppose I should be grateful he didn't turn left.

Glen

Never tried that but i tried to send him coordinates to a location that I want him to hover and he responds as he should. Again all this is possible with the Datalink. I will try hold position and i will let you know my results.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

It is definetely a bug in the 1.0.1 patch. Same problem here. I order the wingman to hold position, he turns about 120 degrees to the right and he keeps going, and going and....going.

I order the wingman to go to a datalink point. He goes to the point, announces " at destination", then he keeps going.

When I order my wingman to recon, he'll recon right into aromr or aaa threats and get blown out of the sky.

When I order my wingman to engage tgts, he'll fly too close and again get blown out of the sky.

I uninstalled BS and reinstalled. Wingmen worked just fine. Engaged tgts at a safe distance. Followed orders etc etc. When I reinstalled the 1.0.1 patch I had the same problems as listed above. So yes there is most definitely a bug in the patch.

Wags, are you all aware of this bug? And if so, are there any plans to fix it?

An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Similar thing happened to me.

I'm flying one of the Campaign missions in single player with the latest patch installed. Getting fed up with my idiotic wingman being shot down within minutes of getting near a danger zone, I used the 'Hold Position' command to keep him safe. After I had taken out all the air defence targets I thought it safe for him to join me and help clean up the rest of the targets. I issued a 'Engage my Target' command and pressed F2 to watch him attack the targets but he was about 15 to 20 km from where I told him to hold ?? The manual says he should initiate a hover at low altitude, not go on a sight seeing flight.

I appreciate a lot of work has gone into this sim which I am very grateful but the wingman AI needs some serious attention.

Glen

Quite frustrating really, I was about 3-4 km from (lets say) lots of enemy ground targets, I decided to be brave and stay just outside of harms way and send my wingman in to take a few out. His responce threw me a little as he came back with basically "cannot do that" and proceeded to get shot down as he just flew around with his "thumb up his arse":huh:

Another interesting note to this topic, is sometimes he just ups and flies away not to be seen again, got me stuffed. Maybe it is something I am doing. To be fair, this doesn't happen all the time, but unless I am directing him to do stuff, he is basically a flying target.:doh:

The advice about using the datalink buttons instead of keys sounds like rock solid advice, I might give that a try.:thumbup:

When ever I fly "The Gauntlet" mission, I clear wp1 then land and the airbase just north of it and i tell my flight to rejoin formation. But they just carry on flying over the runway and off into the distance. Only once have they actually bothered to land but even then they park up in the parking areas and just sit there!