data link ingress help

markbond

Hi All,

have recently been trying to learn the datalink system. I can now designate targets and get the wingmen to engage the datalink targets. I can also create ingress points that appear on the ABRIS. However, I cannot get the wingmen to go there. I designate the ingress point with ths schval thingy, press the ingress button on the PRT (? top right) and then save/send. This makes it appear on the map screen. I then select that ingress point with the ingress point button, press 2 (for wingmen 2) and send. I the order the wingman to go to the data link point but he always replies that he cannot or is unable. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Maybe I should upload a track?

Thanks

Mark

Ingress points only work in combination with a datalink target. IE, send your wingy a ground attack point, then send him an ingress point, and then tell him to attack data link target. He will then fly to the ingress point and begin his attack. If you simply want them to go to a point and hover, you don't need to send an ingress point; just lase a point on the ground as you would when creating an ingress point, and then just click #2 (or whichever wingman you desire) and click send, followed by the "Go to datalink point" command. Note that as of 1.01 the wingmen have seemingly lost the ability to hover in place, so until this bug is resolved sending them to hover at datalink points is rather useless. However, datalink ingress points still seem to work most of the time in my experience. Note that this is all in the manual.

Hi Thanks for the advice. yes I read the manual and watched the training tracks. Just had a bit of trouble implementing it. Must have missed something. Just to confirm, when the bug is fixed, I should be able to laser a point and get my wingmen to go there, but how to I send then point via the datalink?

I guess I laz the point, click 2 on the PRT (?), then save/send then give the order to move to datalink point? Is there a target point button I would also need to click as when creating an ingress point?

Thanks again.

Mark

Ingress points are "helper points" that are paired with real points. Never, never can an ingress point be a destination or a target but only a point on the way to a destination or target. An ingress point by itself is useless.

I should be able to laser a point and get my wingmen to go there, but how to I send then point via the datalink?
You must realize that pretty much every target/destination command you give to a wingman is through the datalink. There is no ability to point out a target to your wingman with any other system**. When you send a Shkval point it's through the datalink. I guess you are asking how do I send a point from the datalink memory as opposed to the "current target?"

**There are a number of commands like "Attack my target" that are not datalink related. They simply require that you have your Shkval locked on to a target. It is an AI-related "cheat" because you cannot talk to your AI wingman and say "Hey, 2, you see that BMP on the ridge? That's your target." So instead they let you have a "mind meld" with your AI wingman instead. A human wingman in multiplayer would be helpless to follow that command, but since you can talk to the other human player you can get that kind of information across.

EDIT: Some other helpful threads possibly

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=38966

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=37974

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=634856

Edited by Frederf

Ok I've learned a bit about the datalink through some more testing.

DL Master Mode Rotary

Off

Receive - Receive only

Wing - Wingman ABRIS mark

Kom - Commander ABRIS mark

note: English manual incorrectly states that Wing and Kom modes change who is communicated with. The only difference is the ABRIS mark.

ID Rotary

1, 2, 3, 4 - Changes the self-ID in the datalink round. There is no requirement that the flight lead be #1. The leader ABRIS mark is set with the Kom mode above. The heading tick on the ABRIS mark only shows when that ID is not being shared. If there is no heading tick then there are two aircraft on the same ID on that frequency!

DL Point Sources and Priority

There are three sources that can provide coordinate input for datalink use. The list is in order of priority.

• PVI-800 NAVTGT
  • Shkval (Valid point)
  • DL Memory

PVI-800 NAVTGT

If the PVI-800 has the NAVTGT task light illuminated and a task point selected, 0-9, then the PVI-800 is the priority input for the datalink. Generally the NAVTGT point will be flashing on the ABRIS but not always.

Even if it is not flashing the active NAVTGT point is still active and will have ultimate input priority to the datalink. If this is the case Shkval or DL Memory inputs will not have any effect.

Shkval (Valid point)

Second in the priority list is the Shkval when it has a valid point. To have a valid point the Shkval needs to be uncaged, ground-stabilized, and have a laser range to the point under the cursors. Shkval datalink points cannot have a target type. If you are sending a point from the Shkval directly to a wingman the target cannot be target-typed by the sender. Pressing the target type buttons will cycle through DL Memory points instead.

DL Memory

Last in the priority list is the DL Memory. Unlike how having a NAVTGT point active prevents the use of any other datalink input, one does not need to turn off (reset, recage) the Shkval in order to bypass the current Shkval point to utilize a DL Memory point.

Simply pressing the appropriate target type button will cycle among all DL Memory targets of that type as well as the current valid Shkval point (if available). The cyclical order would go something like this:

Shkval point

TargetTypeX #1

TargetTypeX #2

Shkval point

Common Mistakes

1. Selecting target type before recipient. For example: Shkval is locked onto a T-55 tank, user presses "Armored target" type, user presses "#2" key for the wingman, and user presses "Send." This is wrong! RECIPIENT-TYPE-SEND, always!
  2. Sending a wingman to an ingress point. An ingress point is a target/destination modifier but is never a target/destination that can be attacked or traveled to.
  3. Trying to target-type a Shkval-input datalink point. This cannot be done so don't try.
  4. Resetting the targeting system between every datalink memory entry. You do not need to do this, multiple datalink memory points can be saved during the same "uncage session."

Tips and Tricks

1. Clear the entire DL memory quickly by clicking the DL power off and then back on (PVI-800 panel).
  2. When able, use the #1, #2, #3, #4 recipient keys instead of the ALL key. Single recipients give positive data reception acknowledgment. The ALL key does not let you know if anyone did not receive properly.
  3. You can change type incoming data points. Feel free to change the target type between receiving the target from another aircraft and saving it in memory.
  4. DL Ingress does not require you save the point to memory first. It will continue to flash on the PRT and the ABRIS but it will work just fine for quick engagements.

Bugs and Quirks

If a PVI-800 NAVTGT point is active then it initially flashes on the ABRIS howerver if you:

• Press a recipient and then clear it will stop flashing but still remain active. It should resume flashing after you press clear but it does not.
  • Press a type and then clear it will similarly misbehave.
  • Press a recipient and a type and then clear it will similarly misbehave.

Or simpler put - if you know where the buttons are;

1. Ensure that you have stored it on your own ABRIS first

a) Lock target, notice the distance (indicates your laser is on - required)

b) select target type in the panel

c) Send/mem

2. Send to others

a) Press D/L to all (or wingman number)

b) Select the target type you just stored (press it once for first target, twice for second target of same type - three times for thrid target of same type)

c) Send/Mem

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning