Where do you configure Anistropic Filtering?

I wanted to compare the settings I have for BS and for FC2.0 as they both looked very different, and BS seemed to look better in some ways. So I imported the A-10 quick mission into BS and converted the spawn into a Ka-50 so I could properly compare. See attachments. It apears to me one of the main differences is that the BS shot looks to have a better resolution ground texture or rather it has anistropic filtering. Anyone know how to adjust FC2 to be more like BS?

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

The other big difference is the haze. I went through the graphics.cfg files of both BS and FC2 to make sure they had the same values for the above two screenshots. The only values that do not match now are:

LandLodDistances

{

LandDay

{

L01 = 30000; (2000)

L12 = 50000; (4000)

}

LandNight

{

L01 = 20000; (16000)

L12 = 40000; (30000)

FogParam : 10 (6)

The value in parenthesis are the values in the BS config.cfg. I didn't change these because I felt they would not have an impact.

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

If you have an nVidia GPU, rightclick your desktop and start NVIDIA control panel, then select "Manage 3D settings", select "program settings" at the right, then press add for a new program and find C:\Games\LoMAC\LOFC2\bin\x86\stable\simulator.exe.

Then, inte the #2 box, change Anisotropic Filtering to whichever setting you prefer.

---

The FogParam probably is the reason why the hills in BS look more "distant". They have different settings since BS needs to accomodate a slow aircraft close to earth, while FC2 needs to accomodate fighter jets zooming about in mach 2.2 at 45 thousand feet. You could see what happens through changing those (make a backup first), but I strongly suspect that too much tinkering with them will cause everything to turn very ugly in FC2 as soon as you climb.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

So there is no setting in a config file somewhere? You see I do not have an entry in the nVidia control panel for either Black Shark or FC2 and yet I am still seeing a considerable difference in appearance, so I am just trying to understand why.

But in the meantime I will try as you suggest and see if the textures clear up a bit. :)

I find it odd that both BS and FC2 are using the same graphics engine now but look so different.....

--Maulkin

You don't have a default entry but you can "add" it as Ethereal said, pointing to LOFC2\bin\x86\stable\simulator.exe

Also they look different because some changes, AFAIK, in haze. DCS:Ka-50 uses more haze and FC2 less (speeds an altitudes of flying are very different)

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Put it at 8x anistropic filtering and what a difference with no noticeable fps hit! Thanks!

--Maulkin