Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Terrain in LO vs real world

Havok

Hey ED type developers and programmers,

I was building a mission and went to some of the different web-map sites available (google, Acme, Mapnik etc ) and saw that people had posted pictures they had taken the various places, with the coordinates also.

I then went back to LO using the coordinates, to compare the pictures to the terrain.

I sat in awe for a while compairing different photos from these map sites to LO...the pictures and terrain matched in many instances very closely...As a matter of fact I was able to place some FARPs in some rather mountainous terrains by simply using the photos on the web and then placing the FARP according to the given coordinates in LO.

I think thats pretty damn sweet, and even more now than ever, don't understand the comments I hear occasionaly about graphics being outdated, bla bla bla. I say, keep up the good work. Dont know why you guys don't publish or use for marketing all the other aspects of this sim, thers more than just the dogfighting.

Also, kudos to whoever lets you guys use time on these things (Project Mgr?) that you really dont even use as leverage, or write down in a user manual...just all of a sudden WHAM, a new discovery in LO.

Keep up the good work.

Addendum: I wanted to add a couple of pic's showing LO vs real world, is there an option to do so? If so, whats pic size limit?

Thx

Edited by Havok
forgot!!!

the level of detail and authenticity in this game is second to none. however, i think by "graphics" people are referring to the art and technical aspect of the visuals. such as texture resolution, model quality and special effects like hdr, normal maps, shaders, etc.

also, are these photos from a website? you could just give us the link.

Some yes, some no im sure. But Im wondering how much time they spent actully checking things out, if they realize how much is there, stuff they dont see at 10000 feet and 600mph...But even the newer vehicle models are awesome, not jut because they are 2048x2048. Its the making sure to capture the details that I apprreciate I guess. IL2 for ex is fun enough but only for combat...no need to take a liesure flight there. and FSX is great...if you want to spend some money each time you want an airport updated some or an area or country...but at least here you can do free flight, which some dedicated servers are, well, dedicated free flight only. But thats just my opinion...but you sound like there are others that do have gfx that are comparable or better? Could you tell me which, would love to see someting besides FSX and IL2. Thx man!!!!

Heres one of the pics:

Google maps, then 42.959249,42.194967 or 42° 57' 33.30" N 42° 11' 41.88" E

make sure turn see pics on, select the pic. Location is a V in the road/river SW of village called 'Cheri'

Then go same place in LO, spring time would match this. Also, great links to maps with more detail Ive been able to find on the area for mission making

Theres a bunch I didnt save all of them but Google, Panaramio and Acme Mapper are great tools and there are pics there to compare with.

Thx!

IMHO Lock on's terrain resolution is not good for present time. That game has good 3D models and its textures - really pretty - however terrain is still low.

I've heard it can be used even 5000x5000 pixels resolution file instead 2048x2048 for terrain tiles.

Anyway many cities have buildings on their bitmap file but there is no 3D building on that place, it looks odd.

Addendum: I wanted to add a couple of pic's showing LO vs real world, is there an option to do so? If so, whats pic size limit?

Thx

There is no limit :P But very large files better give as thumbnails ;]

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ