Mission Planning

DiabloSP

Being a military sim enthusiast for more than 20 years, there is something in the DCS series that I miss greatly: proper, in-depth mission planning interface.

In the DCS series, only the mission creator is able to create the flight path, weapons loadout, etc. Yes, we can edit the mission prior to start if we like to change the plan, but it's only a modification on the mission itself what we're doing.

What I'm talking about is, I miss some kind of easy-to-use and understand, mission planning tool. Not for the creator of the mission, but for the pilots. Some kind of collaborative chat room with maps, elevation maps, distance measure tool, proper icons with estimated threat ranges, and no pre-planned flight path.

Ideally, you'll have your mission objective, but no flight plan. If you have a pre-planned flight path, you loose the thrill of estimating the best IPs, exit routes, and all the weight of mission success or a fiery death rests on your fliying skills, not on your tactics and brains. I miss the need to account for stores in my base's inventory or the possibility of attacking using this or that weapon if it's available.

Of course, for the creator, it's harder to "program" the mission to behave in a certain way if the player has that much freedom, but that's what life is like. Mission designers would have to be more creative and realistic when placing forces during mission creation.

But I feel that would bring a lot more depth to the experience. Is anybody missing this too, or do you feel what we have is good enough?

It's something high on the wishlist for pretty much everyone, including everyone at ED. It'll happen eventually, just not just yet. Not in A-10C and probably not in the next module, but eventually.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL