Countermeasures Systems

slimakwielki

I am enjoying DCS A-10C since public beta came out. With new betas coming up, final release and recent patch through I can say that feel myself confident enough with flight model, avionics and weapons employement. However since begining I still find Countermeasures Systems not so comfy to use. I found CMSP Automatic Mode dispersing countermeasures too quickly, Semi Mode switching (choosing) DISPersing program not usefull when trying to use other program, more approp., Manual Mode giving full control which is bright side, however when taking fire and during evasive mvrs requiring blast focus I found myself fighting with keeping Manual Mode Countermeasures deploying/ECM OPeRating paying too much attention ('AAA SBY or OPR ? gosh, program stopped or am I actually not decoying SAM's radar guidance by deploying chaffs?) - that time could be well shifted for instance visualing actuall SAM position).

What are actuall guidelines, recommendation or even IRL Countermeasures Systems usage?

Edited by slimakwielki

I just put it in semi mode, it picks an appropriate program based on the current threat, and then I start a dispensing program any time I feel it's necessary - either after a detected launch or when in range of IR SAM threats. Then I stop it when I no longer need to be dispensing. If the semi mode isn't getting the job done, or if I want to use a specific program, I just use manual mode and pick my own program. Pretty simple.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How To Fix Your X-52's Rudder!

Just to clarify, in semi-automatic mode you have to activate the Chaff/flares dispenser and the JMR separately.

I always use semi-automatic mode and activate the JMR as soon as my RWR detects enemy radar that I beleive is close by. I then activate the dispenser when I get a launch warning or pre-emptively when I get very close to suspected enemy AA.

Auto mode goes through chaff/flares too quickly as the OP said. I only use it on a "one pass and haul ass" mission. Manual mode is almost useless unless you are an expert in picking programs (I suspect most people here including myself could do no more than guess).

As the OP suggests, this does increase workload at a very critical and busy time, but I see no alternative, and its not too bad.

-Use Semi

-Activate JMR if you get RWR tone

-concentrate on your own weapons as priority

-slam the dispenser and evade if you get a launch warning.

Just my recommendation,

BiPod.

• 4 weeks later...

....and on a related note:

If you customise your CMS programs how does the system know which to use? For example, if program 'A' was set for slow chaff and then I re-configured it to rapid flares, is the CMS system intelligent enough to know program 'A' should now be used against IR missiles and not radar threats?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.