My TrackIR is irritating and pedantic :/

I only own one sorry, you should have read my sig.

Then your post makes no sense at all, sir...

Unless you have misunderstood what the "True-View" option does and have it disabled.

Which I think is the case here..

First off: True-View has NOTHING with to do with having a 360 display...

But rather with the way your head movements are calculated into virtual displacement.

I will give you an example, to make sure that we are speaking about the same thing...

Example 1:

- With your virtual head turned 90 deg to the left, try to to zoom in by moving your head.

With TrueView=OFF

...notice how you zoom in by moving your head in relation to the camera.

With TrueView=ON

...notice how you zoom in by moving your head in relation to the direction of your nose.

Example 2:

- With your virtual head turned ~160-180 degrees to the left, try looking around the back seat.

With TrueView=OFF

...notice how you "strafe/lean" by moving your head in relation to the TrackIR camera.

With TrueView=ON

...notice how you "strafe/lean" by moving your head in relation to your right ear.

Conclusion:

With TrueView Off, the movement is absolute, in relation to the camera and will never

(as I did state in my earlier post) drift. But operating the TrackIR fluently in a combat

situation (E.g DCS, RoF, IL2), becomes very cumbersome with TrueView = OFF.

This is the option I think you are using.

TrueView allows the more natural way of additively moving your virtual head in relation

to its current position and rotation. THIS is where the problems with the head not ending

up in the same position, arize...

Edited by Yammo

I hate to say it but I am affraid any innovation in the head tracking arena is going to be pushed by microsoft and sony with their next gen consoles... As soon as it becomes main stream on consoles I think it will give us simmers better hardware as well.

I'm thinking Natural Points' 100 FPS tracking at 640x480, with almost no CPU overhead at

all, will be quite hard to beat... Not to mention the rather well designed and powerful profiler.

Microsoft will surely try... and some people will probably be happy with whatever tracker

they get, until they see the performance of the NP-TIR... So, in the end, I'm thinking this

will drive up the sales for Natural Point. :)

Then again, people abandoned ICQ in favour of the sub-performing MSN, so who knows. ;)

I got the exact same problem like frostiken. A repetive sinking into the seat when looking around and then again to hud etc. Don´t have it with Blackshark.

1: Check if have "TrueView" enabled for both. Since one does not tend to look backwards

while flying the Black Shark one it is easy to miss that TrueView is off.

2: Check if "Y" is disabled in your BlackShark profile for your TIR. The virtual head will not

"creep" along a disabled axis.

3: Try disabling True-view, OR try disabling Y translation in the profiler and see what happens. :)

This TrackIR crap sometimes feels like from the last century. We need new head tracking.

The problem may indeed lie in the inherent in-accuracy of the 32-bit floating point...

If so, upping the floats to 64 bit (or even 128), may be a solution... this, imo, may be the

the only way to improve upon the TrackIR. :)

Better hardware? I have been using TIR for years. No such problem what so ever. The initial use of this product requires some time to get used to. Tracks perfectly well if set up properly. Recenter often, no light behind you, make sure of the camera postion through the interface, tweak the curves etc.

This product is simply excellent and the issue is likely something wrong in your set up.

My TIR is second only to my HOTAS in importance and is an absolute necessity to any quality simming experience.

Out

• 3 months later...

Sorry, to bump an old thread, but has anyone ever found a better solution for the TrueView recentering issue?

I love playing with TrueView since it's a lot more intuitive for tracking targets etc especially when doing aggressive maneuvers, but I always hated how it would be completely off when returning your head to front and center. Turning TrueView off is nice for straight and level flying and basic movements but sucks for anything more.

I wish NaturalPoint devs would contact the author of the FSX addon utility called EZdok EZCA. EZCA basically takes over camera controls from FSX and gives the user more customization and cool features like camera shaking, but the relevant thing here is that in the EZCA options there is a "transform x/y/z" checkbox which essentially is like the TrueView option in the TrackIR software, but WITHOUT the recentering issue.

What you do is setup your FSX Trackir profile (well, Trackir software now lists EZCA seperately) with TrueView OFF and then transform x/y/z in EZCA on, and voila, you get perfect natural headtracking without any need to constantly recenter.

Maybe I'll email the creator of EZCA and NaturalPoint and at least see what they say. It's obviously possible, now we just need someone to take action and not just rest on their laurels.

Edited by molleh