So I'm purchasing Trackir 5, have some questions

Yes, TIR is awesome and well worth it but, it only works on games/sims that have been designed to use it so plugging it in and trying to use it on just any game is not going to work.

HTH

True..but still, It's not a one show pony.

_:Windows 10 64 Bit, I7 3770 3.4Ghz, 16 Gigs Ram, GTX 960, TM Warthog, Track IR 5 w/Pro Clip:_

True..but still, It's not a one show pony.

I know there are many games (111 NP claims I think) but most are flight sims or auto racing. I even have ARMA II myself. I have never played it and don't really have any idea about how TIR would work with it but I am aware that it does.

I guess I will have to fire it up one of these days and see.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I even have ARMA II myself. I have never played it and don't really have any idea about how TIR would work with it but I am aware that it does.

Basically, it allows you to separate aim and head movement. So if you are running around as an infantryman and just need to take a quick look over your shoulder to make sure your sqauddies haven't chickened out, you don't have to suddenly be sidestepping - gun and you still point forward, only your head moves.

(At least that's what I've seen. Never tried it myself but I remember watching a movie of it in action and that's my memory of it.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Works great like that in Arma 2, and as mentioned, flight sims and driving games (not just sims, I wouldn't call Dirt2 a sim for example,) get good coverage.

Also useful if you're prone and want to look around but not move around, messing up your current gun aim/target coverage as well as potentially giving your position away more easily.

More FPS should make use of it than does today, but IMO naturalpoint don't really do themselves any favours by making the API a chore to obtain (whilst also trying to force out or at the least discourage competitor options from being compatible when doing so).

In terms of profiles I go for something real simple now that just suits me everywhere. Pick the Smooth profile, check Exclusive so it is locked and not switched from game to game, uncheck the boxes enabling hotkeys for everything except Center (e.g. Pause, Precision, don't use any of that malarky).

Nothing else to it for me, and I usually bind my Center key to a spare joypad / controller device, rather than to a key on the keyboard though the default isn't too bad/intrusive anyway.

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

I personally could never get into using it with ARMA 2. I found it was far quicker and more accurate to just look with the mouse instead of with your head.

Of when course flying helicopters in the game it comes in handy.

SPECS: Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.2 Ghz +turboboost enabled, 12 GB DDR3 1600 @ 1500 Mhz, ATI Radeon 5850, TrackIR 5, X52 Pro and Saitek pedals

, uncheck the boxes enabling hotkeys for everything except Center (e.g. Pause, Precision, don't use any of that malarky).

QUOTE]

For flight, A-10 in particular, I would definately keep the other hot keys. I find that stopping TIR when gunning is very helpful and if I want to hit a switch in the back half of the cockpit then precision is almost a must.

Your mileage may vay.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I personally could never get into using it with ARMA 2. I found it was far quicker and more accurate to just look with the mouse instead of with your head.

Of when course flying helicopters in the game it comes in handy.

it works well in AmrA 2. While the mouse movement is quick that also moves your gun and point of aim.

Head tracking actually moves your head pov around while keeping your gun aimed in the original direction you had it pointed.

Adds to the reality immersion. For instance if I'm told to cover a road, I'll kneel, point my gun down the road and just move my head to see where the rest of my squad are moving to. If something does pop up, I'll just give covering fire down the road instead of accidentally hitting the friendly I was looking at.

Also while running to an objective, i can turn my head left and right to see if my squad is with me or not while still running in the same direction.

Lastly nothing beats actually leaning to see around a corner instead of pressing Q/E.

well, I just tried it out an HOLY SHIT IS IT AWESOME! :XD If anyone is on the fence about this I really reccommend it- the level fo immersion increases by leaps and bounds. It does take some getting used to however, and I'm still fine tuning for the optimum angle but it is unbelievabley cool. If anyone is on the fence- don't be- pick it up!

What's funny is when I watch a track replay now (doesn't happen with vids, but does with tracks), I feel compelled to 'look around' and get momentarily confused when the screen stays still. That's immersion alright :)

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

well, I just tried it out an HOLY SHIT IS IT AWESOME! :XD If anyone is on the fence about this I really reccommend it- the level fo immersion increases by leaps and bounds. It does take some getting used to however, and I'm still fine tuning for the optimum angle but it is unbelievabley cool. If anyone is on the fence- don't be- pick it up!

Now do you see what I mean?:thumbup::thumbup: