GTX 260 in SLI, PSU Requirements Question / GTX 280 GPU

Hi,

(I imagine ED has a specific folder for hardware issues.

Please move this post there if it is not allowed to the GENERAL forum.)

ACTUALLY, WOULD LIKE THIS POST MOVED TO THE PC HARDWARE Forum [Erich]

EDIT:

====

Posted this a few days ago, I meant to say GTX 580 GPU instead of the GTX 280, in case anybody is reading this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been running my home-built PC with Asus P6T Deluxe V2 since last summer on one GTX 260 on a 700 watt CoolerMaster Silent Pro PSU. It requires 500 watts minimum, so I went a little bigger.

I have two identical GTX 260 cards I want to try in SLI. I think the 700 watt PSU will be underpowered.

I may later venture to the GTX 580 and I see Cibit runs his at 1.1 KW PSU. I guess this is sufficient to run the GTX 580?

Is it sufficient to run two GTX 260's in SLI?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

ALSO:

=====

If you guys in similar setup, what do you guys use for a battery backup unit? My Silent Pro PSU is pure sine wave and APC wanted a lot of money for a battery backup unit to support my setup and not like their ES series units. I chose to just get the biggest joule surge protector I could find and phooey with the battery back up.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Anyway, the issue is sometimes stutters? And sometimes major lag in multi-ATI or team-mates around me, bullets, clouds, rain, snow. I 95% maxed out my 6GB of memory, so I just purchased and will soon add 6GB more tri-channel Corsair XMS DDR3 for Core i7 to 12 GB should be sufficient for awhile, as to a few years longevity as to my motherboard.

Also going to add a Cooler Master : V8 cooler.

And try overclocking Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz to about 3.2 Ghz. 3.2 Ghz is probably a safe start.

Overclocking I do not know how to do, yet. I know it can be done in BIOS and the Asus Turbo utility and Intel is supposed to have a utility for this purpose also.

Thanks for any positive help or advice.

:pilotfly:

Edited by ErichVon
made some changes as to this old fart is brain dead -+- Erich

I have the same i7, O/C'd to 3.8Ghz - that was very difficult and took a lot of time testing, stressing, etc, before I found the right combination of voltages, settings, that would work. You can check the evga forums for a step by step guide for the O/C part if you want to try it on your own. There is a stock program that evga provides an easy utility for getting your CPU to step up to 3.2Ghz. Requires nothing more than a couple of mouse clicks and works. As far as your video cards, your psu should be sufficient to run those. I'm running 2 450's in SLI mode, as well as several fans, 3 hard drives, 12G RAM, all sort of USB devices, etc., etc., and the only problem I've had is some of the USB devices have to plug directly into the PC as I'm overworking the connections on my logitech k/b.

I have the same i7, O/C'd to 3.8Ghz - that was very difficult and took a lot of time testing, stressing, etc, before I found the right combination of voltages, settings, that would work. You can check the evga forums for a step by step guide for the O/C part if you want to try it on your own. There is a stock program that evga provides an easy utility for getting your CPU to step up to 3.2Ghz. Requires nothing more than a couple of mouse clicks and works. As far as your video cards, your psu should be sufficient to run those. I'm running 2 450's in SLI mode, as well as several fans, 3 hard drives, 12G RAM, all sort of USB devices, etc., etc., and the only problem I've had is some of the USB devices have to plug directly into the PC as I'm overworking the connections on my logitech k/b.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

This may save me some major headaches.

Asus designed this motherboard specifically to overclock, yet, if I do, it will void their warranty if I blow the board. Go figure!

:pilotfly:

i don't know about the 580's but I'm pretty sure your power supply is more than enough. As far as the overclocking, if you've not done it before and are the least bit unsure, I would play it safe. The last thing you want to do is damage your CPU or mobo. In my experience the gains made by cranking up your CPU can be accomplished in other ways; memory, vid cards, hard drive speed, etc., and with the GPU you have you should be fine. I've been building my own PC's for 5 or 6 years now and have done all the wrong, and right things, so if you have any more questions let me know and i'll try and help out. Good luck.

I'm not sure on the peak power differences between sandybridge chips and other processors, but I guess the amounts aren't likely to be radically crazy between those and i7 920's.

With an overclocked i7 2600k and a just a bit over stock (pre-clocked, not OC'd it myself) 580 GTX SLI I would just be able to get away with an 850W PSU so long as it was good (or very good) quality and not too beaten up age-wise. Something I was looking into myself recently as it happens (but haven't tried as I'm sticking with the single card for now anyway), but there wouldn't be much headroom for deterioration so I might have to replace the PSU after a couple of years if I did that.

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]