Facetracknoir difficulties.

Apologies in advance for the long post. Having a few issues with Facetracknoir that despite hours of hunting i cant seem to resolve.

I've managed to get it working within warthog using the addon dll thingamy, but i'm getting masses of what i can only describe as jitter when in-game.

Using a PS3 eye cam, and v1.5 of facetracknoir. I've tried playing with smoothing and the EWMA filters, but in game even with my head perfectly still the view shifts and wobbles in all directions.

In the FTNIR control panel i can see some of the coords for axis are shifting, sometimes pretty significantly (from -7 to positive figures), and the yellow tracking area is changing shape, even with my head still.

I'm also having trouble with the actual movement in-game. it feels a bit like the game is trying to predict where i want to look. If i try to look towards the CDU for example it throws the view straight over the right wing, and when i start turning my head back towards the cockpit, nothing will happen until i'm looking almost straight ahead, then the view shifts all the way back to center

I cant figure out why FTNIR is struggling. There should be enough light for it to function, i've tried with less and more light. any more and i think i'll wind up blinding myself. The camera sits at 30fps constant

Any help here would be massively appreciated. I've been trying to avoid dropping a walletload on a TIR. While i can see the obvious attraction of these alternative solutions, and agreeing with the fact that NP are a rotten bunch, I cant help but see the advantages of TIR right now.

if the yellow lines outlining your face are moving wildly, it wont work. For me that is usually a lighting issue, other times I'm not sure why it cant stay steady. I have a lamp that points directly at my face (off to the left of my desk, so not right in the eyes) and it works pretty well. When it does start acting up, I just bring up the facetrack window, stop tracking, and start again. Also, I had to adjust gain and exposure settings for my webcam, but I dont know if those things exist for the ps3 eye.

I use the following settings, if you're interested

smoothing - 20

min - 80

max - 80

curve - 40

Other than that, I dont know what to tell you other than its free software and will always have some bugs :(

System:

i7 920 @3.8ghz; GTX 560ti 448; 6gb DDR3 1600 ram; 750gb HDD; 750w PSU; Win7 64bit; x52 Pro; TrackIR 5

Firstly I have a PS3eye with FaceTrackNoIR and whilst my tracking numbers do fluctuate when I stay still and I do get some shakyness in game the numbers are nothing like as big as you are seeing.

If you are using the PS3eye I would recommend the ini file hack to increase the input upto 60fps, you obviously need a reasonable PC spec to handle this but nothing crazy.

I have my camera on top of my monitor centrally looking at me pointed slightly downwards.

Try using it with a plain back ground behind you.

Clean the lens of the camera.

Flatten your curves and raise the deadzones.

TrackIR5 is probably a more capable solution I suspect the tracking is more accurate maybe if its causing you greif its a better solution for you especially if you find yourself not flying because FTNoIR is putting you off.

Personally I would wait for the next version release first just to give it a fair chance.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using FaceTrackNoIR quite successfully for a while.

I still can't get it to use the FreeTrack or Fake TrackIR interface's with any of the solutions posted in these forums. It just refuses to work.

I have to use PPJoy which seemed to me to be less responsive than the FreeTrack or Fake TrackIR interfaces. This is a problem because now I use Windows 7 which only allows you to run PPJoy when W7 is in driver test mode.

Then a great mate gave me his Super Rig to borrow. My FPS went from ~40 fps ( medium settings ) to > 120 fps ( Everything MAX ) just to give you an idea of the improvement in processing Horsepower.

So - to finally get to my point. I noticed a dramatic increase in effectiveness in FaceTrackNoIR + PPJoy. Suddenly the headtracking was smooth and responsive. I could turn the filtering way down further increasing the responsiveness.

A lot of the problems people are having are just hardware not up to the task. Not saying the hardware sux, just that the taskbar is set very high.