Black Shark 2 - Deployment Mission #6

BeachAV8R

06DEP01.jpg

Today our mission is to proceed out of FARP Skala to the Narzan Valley to act in support of a pair of Mi-24s that will destroy a rebel weapons and ammunition cache. Our specific task is to clear the area of surface to air threats to allow the Mi-24s unrestricted access to the valley.

06DEP02.jpg

After the support mission in the Narzan Valley we will proceed down the valley to land at FARP Torba.

06DEP03.jpg

06DEP04.jpg

Departing FARP Skala the sunlight streaming through the Black Shark’s cockpit windows give it a toothy grin – ready to hunt!

06DEP05.jpg

My wingman forms up and we take up the scenic flight to our operations area. This is a high mountain area and the towering Mount Elbrus is visible to our south.

06DEP06.jpg

06DEP07.jpg

We are flying eastbound into the rising sun unfortunately, although the views are spectacular with Diveplane’s sun flare mod: HERE! It makes you actually want to squint!

06DEP09.jpg

Crossing Waypoint 2 we continue toward our INGRESS point.

06DEP10.jpg

Damn that sun!! Who planned this route??! I guess (?) I could have edited the waypoints in the Mission Planner prior to starting the mission.

06DEP11.jpg

Meanwhile the pair of Mi-24s orbits further down the valley awaiting the sanitization of the enemy air defenses.

06DEP12.jpg

I reach the INGRESS waypoint and set up a hover. The point gives a good view of the west side of the town, but due to terrain limitations I can’t see around the corner into the whole town.

06DEP13.jpg

06DEP14.jpg

I turn on my AUTO TURN to target and can see several armored units and a fixed AA emplacement. I fire up my Vikhrs and get to work.

06DEP15.jpg

06DEP16.jpg

06DEP17.jpg

06DEP18.jpg

If I were this guy I’d probably not stay in that seat.

06DEP19.jpg

Through external views (yes – cheat, I know), I see that a whole gaggle of support vehicles is parked in the town.

06DEP20.jpg

But my view is blocked by the limited line of sight through the notch in the terrain.

06DEP21.jpg

So I evaluate the situation, consult my topo map, and figure I can slide left (north) a click or so and that should give me good LOS down the valley.

06DEP22.jpg

06DEP23.jpg

I give my wingman the “HOLD POSITION” command hoping to keep him out of trouble. My new position gives an excellent view of the entire village and I’m stunned at how many vehicles are out in the open. This is going to be a turkey shoot!!

06DEP24.jpg

I pick the highest threat targets first and set my Shkval on another fixed AA emplacement.

06DEP25.jpg

Suddenly my wingman barks out “SAM Launch!!” Oh crap.

06DEP26.jpg

In my stupidity I ignored the blue shading on the ABRIS indicated the probably SAM envelope around the town. My new position provides excellent visibility, but it also lies on a downward slope with no terrain to dodge behind. I hadn’t seen a SAM unit in my quick scan, but obviously I was wrong. I dump my collective, pop flares, and jam the right rudder hoping to accelerate down into the valley perpendicular to the threat.

06DEP27.jpg

It is too late. With near zero momentum I’m rocked by the missile and I hear the Bitchin’ Betty screaming at me. I keep the collective bottomed and continue pushing forward as I assess the situation. OK – left engine fire. I can probably deal with that. I’ll just jettison my weapons, crawl out of the valley and sick my wingman on the remaining targets. No problemo!

06DEP28.jpg

As I start to put my plan into action. “RIGHT ENGINE FIRE”.

Oh shi*. One engine out = bad. Two engines out = well, twice as bad.

06DEP29.jpg

With little on the table in terms of options I pull the EJECT handle..cursing my stupidity.. The blades blow off, the roof explodes and I’m out…

06DEP30.jpg

06DEP31.jpg

06DEP32.jpg

My wingman looks on with pity as he looks at his dumbass commander make one swing in the chute before hitting the ground (alive!).

06DEP33.jpg

06DEP34.jpg

Damn! A MANPAD got me. I should know better. Stand-off range is your friend.

06DEP35.jpg

So – I reload the track and let it play up until my poor decision. This time I take over with a better plan. I reposition to the other side of the huge Mount Maliy Bermamit (which is actually shown on the briefing map – perhaps a hint!!) which gives me stand-off range AND it allows me the possibility of dumping my collective and dropping back behind cover in the event of a SAM launch.

06DEP36.jpg

Once again I order my wingman to stay put (someone has to call the rescue choppers afterall)..

06DEP37.jpg

I peek up over the top of the mountain and this is a much better vantage point, although it does suffer from not really being able to see the target area through the HUD due to the extreme angle. The Shkval optics have no problem with the angle though and I can use that to scan the area.

06DEP38.jpg

I have an axe to grind with this guy.

06DEP39.jpg

I set my sights on the other AA unit. ”Mustaffa – do you hear something..??”

06DEP40.jpg

With the commencement of the attack the smarter units in the area try to take off down the valley. Hitting the moving targets is only slightly more difficult although the dust they kick up makes it hard to figure out where to lock them.

06DEP41.jpg

06DEP42.jpg

As I pluck away at the defenders the Mi-24 flight determines the coast is clear and they start running in for their rocket attacks. I’m a wee bit worried though because a few enemies capable of firing are still on the loose so I try to quicken the pace of my shots. I run out of Vikhrs and the only threat that concerns me is a fortified bunker that I haven’t yet killed. I hope the Hinds are able to steer clear of it.

06DEP43.jpg

06DEP44.jpg

After a couple rocket runs, the Mi-24s have killed their objectives and a pall of smoke rises from the town.

06DEP45.jpg

I get the “MISSION SUCCESS”, but I can still see undamaged targets in the town. Never one to leave well enough alone, I push my nose over and select my rockets to make a run on the soft vehicles.

06DEP46.jpg

06DEP47.jpg

06DEP48.jpg

I am, without question, the worst performer with rockets. I think I get one kill out of 40 rockets. Sigh. So I switch to the big gun.

06DEP49.jpg

06DEP50.jpg

I remain wary of the bunker but no return fire comes from the village. I blow up all the remaining support vehicles and try to take out the bunker but the cannon fire has no effect on it. (I need an A-10C overhead with a bunker buster!)

With the village in ruins I recall my wingman and we head down the valley to FARP Torba. The scenery in BS2 is just fantastic. The new lighting, soft shadows, haze – all of it combine to really setup some picturesque views.

06DEP51.jpg

Just doodling around I slew my Shkval onto the FARP as I approach it and see the Mi-24s have already arrived.

06DEP53.jpg

06DEP52.jpg

I set up for my landing, being very careful. It is easy to get complacent in the last stage of the mission and get into a vortex ring state or run into something around the FARP.

06DEP54.jpg

06DEP55.jpg

The mission is a success. Obviously the ejection wasn’t a good thing. One thing I didn’t realize is that when you replay a mission from the track and assume control, even if you complete the mission it doesn’t count as a campaign mission completion. Doh! So I’ll just have to go back and refly it without a mission report to progress along in the campaign.

BeachAV8R

• Like 1