What to look for in LCD Tv as monitor

All,

Does anyone that's used or is using a large TV as a monitor have any do's and dont's as far as what to look for in a LCD or LED TV.

I have scoured the internet and can't find any good guidance.

I'd like to use it for A10C obviously and other Sims but also generally as a monitor for Windows and for general gaming.

Thanks in advance.

J.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)

Yes

I use a Sony KDL-32xbr6 32 inch . Probley the best 32 inch tv made. It is a hot rod 2009 model. XBR = hot rod in Sony world. I wont go back to a smaller screen. I have a second monitor that I can have videos playing and news while working on the big screen. If your trying to save a buck find one like mine and see they do hold value though. Even though it is not a 120hz screen the other tech makes up for it. I dont have any problems in any games including the latest like BF3 etc etc . Its all beautiful. The only CON about this tv as a monitor and gaming screen is that I CANT FIND ONE and thats after 3 years of owning it!!!!!!!!! Hell that saying something isnt it?!?!?!

Some advice, you want at least a 256 bit card and the bandwidth does make a diff. eah3850 is maybe as low as you want to go pushing fast games to a 32 inch tv. Just for retrospec sake ofcourse. The memory bandwidth of the video card becomes important when using a tv. Thats about it.I am happy with my new computer and not much into a10c still enjoying BS2. Both are excellent on my tv.

In my living room I have this http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-1_7-20007192-237.html kdlhx800 which is the XBR hot rod for 2010 . This is a 3D TV. In 2011 they gave us not true 240hz refresh rate tvs and alot of people looked for these HX800 tvs instead of the lesser and lower quality 2011 models. So I guess Im using just about the best tv's. Start there kdlxbr6 specs and dont settle for less than that. There are the XBR 9 models too but I think they are all real big and big money.

Edited by emenance

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

I am using 3x42" lcds for eyefinity with a10.

When searching around for advice I found a lot of it was out of date and about lag on tv's. I didn't find much info relevant to 2011 and the latest models of tv's.

I ended up getting a 42" LG LCD to test with and it went well so I got another two.

I run mine in 'game' mode so that there is no additional post processing done by the tv that could cause lag. It runs fine, I use it for flight simming as well as racing which has much more drastic effects if there is lag evident in the tv's.

So my only advise is to get something that has a 'game' mode as that is there to specifically remove post processing that might introduce the lag. If you are not aware the lag is the delay from doing something in game and it showing up on the monitor. E.g. you bank to the left and there could be a slight delay from it happening on screen or you fire the guns and hear the sounds but there is a fraction of a second from seeing it on screen.

I have no issues with my later generation LG's.

As for playing FPS games. It's a no go for me. I do that on another machine with a 30" monitor. 42" is just to large for my brain and probably stomach to handle for an extended period of time.

Guys,

Thanks. I will look for the equivalent machines in the UK. I was thinking 32 to 37 was good for me, but having some model numbers to chase is a real help.

As an aside I use a Samsung UE40D7000 3D screen for TV use at home and I have tried that connected to my PC in game mode. Its 40" 3D and stunning.

That said it was over £1000 and I cant see myself pushing to that for a PC Monitor.

If I was allowed my pit in my living room well it'd be sorted wouldn't it ;)

J.

Rig: Home Built, water cooled,i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS P8P67Pro Mobo, 8GB Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 RAM, MSI Nvidia GTX970 4GB Gaming OC, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Boot, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD Games (BS & WH), Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB other,

Samsung UE37D5000 37" LED TV,EloTouch 1600x1200 secondary, Thrustmaster Warthog No.467, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR4 with Track Clip Pro.

Ex RAF Aircrew, Real Life Pilot, proud Geek and father of one :)

hmmm I remember a xbr9 32 inch at best buy a year or two ago . That would be a great model too. Sony has tech in my LCD tv that pushs things to prevent lag or poor quality . One of the reasons that 60hz isnt a problem with my TV. In other cheaper models that are made for WALMART , you might not be as lucky with a diff brand.

Also should add you should get a tv that allows PIP picture in picture so you can watch tv and use your computer.

Note the model numbers at walmart on the tvs, from sony , sharp whoever. You will see that most are not main stream models sold from the websites. They are the cheaper cut throat editions.

Edited by emenance

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/