U3011 versus HP ZR30w

Hi,

I am in the process of changing my PC machine totally.

Currently I am determined to buy 30" monitor but can not decide which one exactly.

Unfortunately i have not had occasion to sit in front of any of the ones mentioned in the title, so

what I know is only after reading some reviews.

I am just hoping that some of you guys have either of the aforementioned monitors or had an occasion to use it so you could tell me which one is better choice considering the usage for gaming, or may be you could recommend any other monitor for similar price.

Thanks for any advises :)

I am just hoping that some of you guys have either of the aforementioned monitors or had an occasion to use it so you could tell me which one is better choice considering the usage for gaming, or may be you could recommend any other monitor for similar price.

Thanks for any advises :)

Didn't have any of those, but just in case no-one had, here's a thing or two from the reviews:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4070/dell-u3011-review-dells-new-30-inch-flagship/8

"That said, it does have a number of advantages over the HP ZR30w, namely an OSD, a wealth of input options, and audio pass through. Where the HP ZR30w bests the U3011 is with its excellent display arm which feels subjectively sturdier and beefier, and its slightly better color performance and input latency."

So, for gaming, I'd choose the HP - it has less input lag (because it has no OSD and thus, probably no hardware scaler; though this might be a problem if you plan to use it with consoles?) and better colors. It has less input ports, but one DVI and a DisplayPort ought to be enough, IMHO.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I love my u3011. I don't notice any input lag, when playing battlefield 3 and such.

The colors are brilliant and the resolution speaks for itself. Just be sure to have enough graphic power :)

Plus I like dell warranty, but hp might be fine here too.

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

So, for gaming, I'd choose the HP - it has less input lag (because it has no OSD and thus, probably no hardware scaler; though this might be a problem if you plan to use it with consoles?) and better colors. It has less input ports, but one DVI and a DisplayPort ought to be enough, IMHO.

Thanks ijozic for the review link - I read it and indeed it looks like HP is slightly better for gaming (I am not going to use it with console so that ain't problem for me). One think that worries me is this less input ports part - there is a possibility that in the future I'd like to use eyefinity and I suppose those input ports may be not enough - but I may be wrong - I will have to check it.

I love my u3011. I don't notice any input lag, when playing battlefield 3 and such.

The colors are brilliant and the resolution speaks for itself. Just be sure to have enough graphic power :)

Plus I like dell warranty, but hp might be fine here too.

Thanks for the first "eye" info ;)

Yeah - that resolution must be something! - currently I am using 23" Samsung so I really cannot wait to feel the difference.

Ain't worried about graphic power - I am going to get 2 x 7970 - unfortunately crossfire will have to wait for DCS till the Nevada with the new EDGE engine - but will be waiting already :)

I have been using a U3011 for quite some time and I love it. It comes with an individual calibration test result sheet, apparently printed just after adjustment at the factory, before packaging.

I have never noticed any lag, and I love all the ports, especially the 4 USB ports since running a flight sim may require lots of peripherals. The touch sensitive bezel controls are intuitive and make it extremely easy to select a preset display mode "on the fly" (pun intended). I have found the one labeled "Game" needs no adjustment while playing DCS A-10C.

W7Ux64|i7 980X @ 4.14GHz|12GB RAM|EVGA Classified Mobo|2 EVGA OC'd GTX 580's in SLI|Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600|Assorted HDD's @ 7.2 & 10K (no SSD)|TM HOTAS Warthog|Saitek Combat Pro Rudders|TrackIr 5|Logitech G-13|Logitech G510|Logitech G700

I have been using a U3011 for quite some time and I love it. It comes with an individual calibration test result sheet, apparently printed just after adjustment at the factory, before packaging.

I have never noticed any lag, and I love all the ports, especially the 4 USB ports since running a flight sim may require lots of peripherals. The touch sensitive bezel controls are intuitive and make it extremely easy to select a preset display mode "on the fly" (pun intended). I have found the one labeled "Game" needs no adjustment while playing DCS A-10C.

I have the U2711 and I have to agree with the above. Mine does double duty as a photoediting monitor as well. I did recalibrate mine but the presets are not bad.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

One think that worries me is this less input ports part - there is a possibility that in the future I'd like to use eyefinity and I suppose those input ports may be not enough - but I may be wrong - I will have to check it.

Eyefinity? But then you need multiple ports on the graphics card, not the monitor :) Two or more ports are needed if you have a computer and a laptop you want to use with the same monitor, or a gaming console, etc.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Eyefinity? But then you need multiple ports on the graphics card, not the monitor :) Two or more ports are needed if you have a computer and a laptop you want to use with the same monitor, or a gaming console, etc.

Uhm - my mistake then - thanks for the clarification ;)