Saitek X-52 - lets take the Throttle apart

Hello there! I am a semi-new member here so excuse me if Im posting the thread in the wrong forum (have been lurking for some time, finally decided to commit and start learning a new SIM :) ). I looked for a similar thread but I couldn't find one - most people seem to be working only on the stick. :(

I have a really annoying problem with my Saitek X52. Its working perfectly, almost. DCS A-10C recognizes the inputs from the throttle reversed - full throttle on the HOTAS is zero throttle in the sim and vice-versa. :joystick:

Since yesterday Im trying to fix the problem, i've slept for around an hour and this morning I started working on this again. I really want to fly my A-10 but this damn bug is stopping me from enjoying my new purchase :)

The X52 works perfectly in every other game, sim, whatever. Last summer I even gave it to a friend that has Black Shark, he wasnt sure if he wants a new HOTAS so I convinced him to take one with an actual Throttle :P no problems with the X52 on DCS Black shark.

( Detailed description of the problem and screenshots: in this really old thread - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1488982#post1488982).

Since I really dont expect the problem to be resolved any time soon, I decided to take things in my hands.

My goal is to reverse the inputs on the hardware end. I really dont want to do this, but at this point I have no other choice. I've opened a ticket, but there's a high chance that ED wont be able to help me with this problem.

Here is how the throttle input looks from the inside:

49a4751c28.jpg

I cant remember the name of the electronic component that translates the different positions of the throttle to analog signals (sorry, I havent slept much and im really tired) - (edit:) i think it is a potentiometer . My plan is to change the red and blue wires (the black looks like Ground, I couldn't see the markings on the board clearly but i'll check it before I start).

Does anyone have an idea how this thing actually works and if the thing im planning to do will have any positive effect? I am desperate :(

What should I expect if I reverse the wiring on the potentiometer?

1) Yes, this will void the warranty. I bought the X52 ~ 2 years ago, it has already expired.

2) This will **** things up for all other sims/games I might try some day - I really dont care, as long as I can fly my A-10 properly :) and some sims have working "Invert Input"

--

If anyone knows of a way to do this through the drivers, os or whatever I'll be really grateful.

Regards!

Edited by nex

After getting some sleep and reading about potentiometers, it seems that the middle wire is connected to the output and it shouldn't be touched. If the signal passed to the output varies from Ground (zero) to Input (maximum signal) I can rewire Ground and In to the opposite terminals and I will hopefully achieve the desired effect.

I'll probably wait for the official ED response since I really don't want to do this. Im making the throttle almost useless for everything but A-10C.

If there was a way to easily invert the output from the throttle in such a way that would changes on the go I would be really happy. Maybe I should think about a mod that involves connectors that can be reattached repeatedly.

Or is there a way to do this through the drivers/OS?

Edit: Just for future reference

7ba67a4899.jpg

:book: All advice welcome!

Regards

Edited by nex

If your throttle is reversed why are you taking it apart?

Go into the settings in the axis section and click on the box that says reverse. That will fix your problem of backwards movement.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

If your throttle is reversed why are you taking it apart?

Go into the settings in the axis section and click on the box that says reverse. That will fix your problem of backwards movement.

Sadly it doesnt work for me (you can check the link in the first post, its for a thread in the bug report forum). When I invert the axis everything gets mirrored.

It is the same on my laptop (Win7 32bit, clean installation - no Saitek drivers or DCS installed prior to that).

Check these screenshots:

Normal (with the X52 control panel) - note that Throttle is @ zero in the control panel, 100% in DCS:

http://onebit.us/x/i/25036f23e4.png

Inverted - everything is mirrored, same result:

http://onebit.us/x/i/59e5daad3b.png

Edit: Thanks for the reply! :)

Hi dude , this is indeedy a weird problem. I have some experience in electronics ,

yes if you reverse the supply wiring the POT will act opposite to how it does now.

Tho to be honest if all other games are working right it sounds more like something is wrong with your DCS install.

Thank you for the help :) yeah, should be something on the DCS-end. What makes it even more strange is that it happens on different systems (desktop x64 win7 and laptop x86 win7). I was resetting options/reinstalling like mad until I decided to try it on the laptop with the same result. I have 1-2 more systems at home (older office pc's) I can try it on. Hopefully ED will have an idea how to deal with this problem.

What makes it even more annoying is the combination of the inverted input and the non-functioning "Invert" option :cry:

No dcs for me until I receive an answer to my ticket, then i'll decide if I'll go for this "mod". Its really hot outside and im bored :(

Still, any suggestions how to connect the wires in such a way that I can easily disconnect them and reattach them later? Soldering doesn't sound like something I can do every month :D

Actually, is this soldered or its glued with silicone? Hmmm :(

And I cant find anything about inverting inputs through the drivers :(

Regards! :pilotfly:

Edited by nex

In this case, I would suggest you try to use the support: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=57943

The forums is mostly volunteers trying to help out in the community.

I never had such reversal problems back when I had mine.

However DCS has changed, and I don't longer have the x52 so I can't tell.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I don't think reversing the wires on the pot will do anything it will still read the same resistance It has to be mechanically reversed ie the pot gets flipped 180º where the wiper in the pot is now opposite of what it used to be. Have You called Saitek? I have been able in the past to talk directly with their Techs. It does seem like it is a software issue. I guess You have tried to zero or calibrate the controller? Please correct Me if I'm wrong....

:pilotfly:I dont know how, but it is working now. I uninstalled the game, deleted everything DCS-related and downloaded it again. After the installation the settings for the axis looked the same. I decided to invert it and give it a go. Nope, still inverted. Wait a second ... unticked "Invert", jumped back in a mission and WOAH its working correctly! :)

It still shows it in the wrong manner in the options but I dont care :P

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and for the feedback. Hopefully I'll never have to deal with this problem again.

Well on a positive note, the OP is now the resident X52 expert. :thumbup:

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down