Getting back into DCS A-10, questions with laser

grandkodiak

I've watched a few laser tutorials on youtube and i have autolaze, manual laze and latch laze down pat, along with workign the targetting pod, and setting up profiles in the wep inv screens. ive even gotten pretty decent using ccrp for once (i avoided it since LOMAC first came out because I never had a need and never could fly accuratly enough to get a good drop!)

but my problem is now, no matter what altitute I am flying, my bombs drop considerably past me laze point. i made a practice mission with a single truck in flat field just to make it super easy to get the hang of. if im 3k feet or 6k feet up, i seem to get the same result. the bomb travels maybe 5 car lenghs further then aimed.

i tried zooming allllll the way in and aiming at the base of the vehicle before lasing like one of the tutorials teaches (it shows how the angle using the onboard systems terrain height database causes an overshoot) but i dont recall that being effected by laser, as the height data and overshoot wont occure, since its physically lasing the spot.

any tips?

I have the strong feeling that you simply lase too long/short - is that possible?

When you use Autolase, be sure to set the Lasetime to 8-10 seconds (I always use 8 with perfect results). If you lase manually, be sure to activate the laser when TTI is around 10.

But thats just poking in the hay. If you want the cracks here to figure your problem out, load up the record ;)

Additional Note: You do not need to fly super precise when using CCRP. Even if you are off center, the bomb will hit accurately. At least I never had any problems...

Edit: Oh... 3000/6000ft? Go higher. 6k works but while working with the TGP a minimum altitude of 10k is recommended (otherwise you wont find sh** out there ;)

Couple of other points. Daimaju is right, get higher - minimum should be 8K for guided bombs. I have gotten hits at lower altitudes, but you have to employ them differently.

If you are at a shallow angle to your target, i.e. you are at a great distance and you see the target's side versus a more vertical angle, the SIM will target the ground beyond the target you are lasing.

You can set your TGP in area mode, activate your laser and you will generally get the target instead of the ground behind it. What I try to do is target the ground right in front of the target, as close as I can get to the target. I hit the lase button and either set a mark point or press and hold TMS UP long.

That usually gets me on target without issue when dropping guided bombs. This works really well if you are setting mark points for GPS-guided GBUs. If you use laser guided GBUs after you pickle the bomb you can always go into area mode and guide the munition down to the exact point of your choosing.

The main thing is to get high enough and not lase too soon so the bomb has the energy to reach the target.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

If your munitions are landing long, I'd expect it has more to do with how you are designating/marking your target. See this video for a great explanation:

Over-lasing usually results in your munitions landing short, due to loss of energy.

dcs_sig.jpg

Paveways require a minimum of 8 seconds guidance, and that is an absolute minimum. 3000-6000 ft is far too low, you want to be at 10k or above (up to 25k).

If you're down at 6000 or below you don't need LGBs anyway as a standard Mk82 would be more than accurate enough.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

alright ill do a higher alt run to check... im only low since i put the truck right in the middle of the airport to make it easy to find haha... i go out over the water on takeoff, turn around, and thats where ive been perfecting my guns, rockets etc... after i master laser ill start my luck with inertial/gps guided ones. the hardest part is just remembering the controls on my x45... i WISH someone would make a "low quality" affordable version of the a10 controller, I can justify $400 for it :(

ps. thats the video i was looking for... i kept searching a1- dcs laser, jdam, targetting etc., forgot it was a targetting pod video and not just laser tutorial :) ill try again but after watching the video again, im wondering if thats my symptom though. im using a laser guided not a jdam, so it should aim at the laser designated point, so whether or not the mark point was off it shouldnt matter as long as the laser is on at the time and during the drop, no?

Edited by grandkodiak

ps. thats the video i was looking for... i kept searching a1- dcs laser, jdam, targetting etc., forgot it was a targetting pod video and not just laser tutorial :) ill try again but after watching the video again, im wondering if thats my symptom though. im using a laser guided not a jdam, so it should aim at the laser designated point, so whether or not the mark point was off it shouldnt matter as long as the laser is on at the time and during the drop, no?

Correct.

Caveat - your laser has to be firing. Firing your laser too soon could cause the bomb to fall short of your target. I usually do a 5-count before firing the laser when dropping GBUs.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

It's clearly centered on the truck the entire time, even during flyover and passing, so if it is on a point, it should be correct there too....

anywho, ill check when i get back home. im readin the 40+ CDU pages in the pdf manual too haha.... *sigh*

alright so i headed upto about 10k feet and the bomb couldnt have landed any closer, i think it actually impacted the vehicle itself!

now, on to masterin inertial guided weapons! im still not comfy with setting/changing steerpoints, spi's, markpoints etc... but that video is very helpfull. thats tonights project, then ill be ready for some multiplayer!?!