Can't install FC3

Jeans

Tom, when you installed world, did you let it update your c++ libraries?

I skipped the part that related to Microsoft VisualC++ redistribuatble. TBH I recall(ed) the necissity to install these files in relation to my AMD card and was afraid the new installation might pork it.

:music_whistling:

Thanks, sobek..so you mean I should reinstall and also install those files?

T.

Yes, i suspect that an outdated version of the C++ redistributable might be to blame.

OK thanks!:thumbup:

Will redownload the Torrent version this time, uninstall DCS World and reinstall.

If it still does not work, I will come back to this thread.

Look forward to bust through the unfriendly skies again.

Let's hope for the best..I'm way more patient when it comes to testing compared to installations.:joystick:

Tom

Ok, i don't think it would be necessary to redownload if you still have the installer files, but as you whish. In this case, simple reinstallation with installing the redistributable or installing the ridistributable directly from MS would have sufficed.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

OK sobek, I completely uninstalled DCS World and got the above shown message again beforehand.

Anyway, now got the files and man do I look forward to take a spin in a Mig-29 again, not to speak of the entire reason I came here, the F-15C.

Sorry, no joy.

Same message. Only exception, now I got a 2nd message before it appeared telling me to visit Microsoft homepage for installing blabla (did not take a screen) software to be able to install Microsoft Visul C++ redisctrib. etc.

I already have the 2005 and 2008 versions.

:mad::helpsmilie:

Ugh, ok, didn't know you were on XP SP2. Yes, that's a problem, not only due to the C++ redist incompatibility but also because 32bit OSs are a bit troublesome to get DCS to run. How much RAM do you have?

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Ugh, ok, didn't know you were on XP SP2. Yes, that's a problem, not only due to the C++ redist incompatibility but also because 32bit OSs are a bit troublesome to get DCS to run. How much RAM do you have?

Well, until I upgrade to Win 7, 3 GB.

Chrs

Tom

XP SP2 is essentially a 2004 operating system. SP2 ceased being supported at all by Microsoft in 2010. (Normal support ceased in 2009, but SP3 does at least receive security fixes a little while longer.)

SP3 is available as a free update, a new license is not necessary, but a Win7 or Win8 license would definitely be recommended.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

XP SP2 is essentially a 2004 operating system. SP2 ceased being supported at all by Microsoft in 2010. (Normal support ceased in 2009, but SP3 does at least receive security fixes a little while longer.)

SP3 is available as a free update, a new license is not necessary, but a Win7 or Win8 license would definitely be recommended.

Could you specify what new license means in effect, please?

I can go with trying SP 3 since I reinstall and also upgrade next year anyway, but TBH more installation stunts could be more than I am willing to do atm. Go for SP 3-ok, reinstall DCS World and FC 3-ok-search another day for Microsoft fora help-not so ok.

In that case I'd rather either store my current installer or search for an alternate fix for my issue..aka support.

Chrs

Tom

Just activate automatic updates in your control panel and your computer will update automatically. No need for any installs.

You can also download a manual install pack that you just run on your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Just activate automatic updates in your control panel and your computer will update automatically. No need for any installs.

You can also download a manual install pack that you just run on your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

OK then chaps: I will not bitch around this at the BMS forums or so as I could have seen this coming myself.:thumbup:

Will try that. And if it fails go for support and ask kindly to get my cash back.

And point to this thread, should explain it. Argh nevertheless.:D

Chrs

Tom

Well, honestly, running SP2 at this time is something you should expect to cause trouble - all XP licenses include updates to new service packs, so running an obsolete service pack will cause unusual issues since SP3 is the standard for XP. Running the updater will not only give you a 4 years more recent version of XP, it will also ensure that you once again (until 2014 if my memory is correct) get security updates, something you at this time have been without for 2 years. (Though, if the updater has been turned off, you will effectively not have received security updates since 2004. FC issues aside, that is something you should be worried about.)

Once you have allowed the updater to run and update your operating system, the C++ redist will work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well, honestly, running SP2 at this time is something you should expect to cause trouble - all XP licenses include updates to new service packs, so running an obsolete service pack will cause unusual issues since SP3 is the standard for XP. Running the updater will not only give you a 4 years more recent version of XP, it will also ensure that you once again (until 2014 if my memory is correct) get security updates, something you at this time have been without for 2 years. (Though, if the updater has been turned off, you will effectively not have received security updates since 2004. FC issues aside, that is something you should be worried about.)

Once you have allowed the updater to run and update your operating system, the C++ redist will work.

Yes, but my concern is rather that DCS will not work anyway because as my bud sobek suggested, DCS World tends to have issues with 32 Bit systems.

So I will rather not go for a OS change (I am perfectly safe reg. security) unless there is a good chance DCS world and FC 3 will run.

My system ain't bad, only the RAM amount and OS suck. Also upgrade in sight reg. GFX.

Chrs

The issues with 32-bit systems do indeed exist, they may require the use of a fix that is linked in my signature. However, since you have 3GB, you should be fine. (The real problems turn up when there is less than 3GB RAM.)

The upgrade from SP2 to SP3 should not be perceived as an "OS change". If I remember right (though it was a long time ago) you won't see anything visually different, and all your programs will be intact. The only change that will have happened is that your XP will be up-to-date and have a lot of new compatibilities with current software and hardware.

So basically, the only thing that you should notice that will have changed should be that more things work. (And there's also a lot of under-the-hood stuff with networking and CPU management etcetera that will have improved, but whether that is noticeable at user level I don't dare say.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The issues with 32-bit systems do indeed exist, they may require the use of a fix that is linked in my signature. However, since you have 3GB, you should be fine. (The real problems turn up when there is less than 3GB RAM.)

The upgrade from SP2 to SP3 should not be perceived as an "OS change". If I remember right (though it was a long time ago) you won't see anything visually different, and all your programs will be intact. The only change that will have happened is that your XP will be up-to-date and have a lot of new compatibilities with current software and hardware.

So basically, the only thing that you should notice that will have changed should be that more things work. (And there's also a lot of under-the-hood stuff with networking and CPU management etcetera that will have improved, but whether that is noticeable at user level I don't dare say.)

OK, think I will try that in the next two days and if all fails go for support to cash back.

After all I need a new OS in 2013, only can't go for it atm.

Thanks and sorry for flodding the thread. Guess that wasn't my last post.

:D

Wish I had known about OS in the beginning.

Actually, the mentioned "fix" has nothing to do with the amount of physical memory, rather the address space.

Actually, the mentioned "fix" has nothing to do with the amount of physical memory, rather the address space.

Yes, but if you are below 3GB you end up causing other problems, meaning that with less than 3GB of RAM the fix is a lot less likely to help you get it to run.

Basically like this:

A) If you have 3GB, use the fix.

B) If you have 2GB, sure, try the fix, but you should expect needing to purchase more RAM.

(There have been cases where the fix made it work on 2GB systems, but I can only remember enough to count them on one hand, whereas the fix has a very good track record - though not perfect - on 3GB systems.)

There are other possible issues as well that can affect the situation; since Dx9 "mirrors" vRAM data into RAM, the fix might secure you a functional game on a computer with limited vRAM while not be able to rescue a system with lots of vRAM. I have seen this a few times but never been able to check it out in a controlled environment.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Sorry, but besides that it does not look the way descirbed on my system after the initial "properties" click, I find the need to alter hardware related settings related to the boot process not too pleasing. After all I do not want to harm my perfectly running system and other apps.

I will try it the default way, like mentioned in the offical DCS minimum requirements (no word about extra fixes) and if it works, great, if not..thanks for the support. At least my other specs are above the minimum requirements.:megalol:

Cheers

Tom

The minimum reqs are an absolute minimum. "Below this and no, it simply will not work, ever." The recommendation is basically what is recommended by Eagle Dynamics - it is "here's what we feel you should have to enjoy it well", not "here's what will max it out in all it's glory".

Anyway, good luck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well, I tell you this:

If you can phrase the help for XP in a way which I can relate to (if I click on desktop, properties, advanced, I simply do not get those settings) I might give it a try.

As of now, glad I got support sad I did not know more before.

Anyway

Thanks

Tom

I just doublechecked, and I get exactly those options on my old XP netbook, and the directions are exact.

Note: you are not meant to right-click the desktop. Right-click the "My computer" icon. If your windows is not in english, it is likely named something else. The icon should be of a desktop computer.

Unless this is SP2 being a ghost again, I do not remember what this stuff looks like on SP2 though it should be the same.

An alternative is to simply search for your boot.ini file with the file search.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I just doublechecked, and I get exactly those options on my old XP netbook, and the directions are exact.

Note: you are not meant to right-click the desktop. Right-click the "My computer" icon. If your windows is not in english, it is likely named something else. The icon should be of a desktop computer.

Unless this is SP2 being a ghost again, I do not remember what this stuff looks like on SP2 though it should be the same.

An alternative is to simply search for your boot.ini file with the file search.

Thanks for all the tips. I got it running in the meantime, with medium settings or lower settings flyable and still nice.

This can be a really nice sim, I think when I get a minor upgrade and Win 7 I will have the priviledge of enjoying it fully. Amazing details on the ground and that new Eagle 3D model is just amazing. Same for the cockpit, once I have the hardware to really enjoy it I'd like to post some polite constructive tips in the appropriate thread.

In any case I can say it works with 3GB on XP, hope ot will still run with my interim solution of 4GB Dual Channel RAM next year which is the max on XP..I will stick with XP until I have my new monitor, first I need new GFX card.

:D

Cheers

Tom