Noob learning

TBear0770

Hello folks.

I'm learning how to use mission editor and triggers in particular.

I already followed forum advices on randomizing groups and all is good now.

But i still have some probs:

Actually Im building a simple mission.

My Mig29 is going to intercept Mirages approaching my base. I set up a group of 2 Mirages that will always appear in the mission.

Then another random group of 2 Mirages with 50% of chance to appear in the mission. Then another group of Mirages with 25% of chance to appear.

I set up the proper triggers and all goes as i want.

I realized that is not much fair to have a 6 vs 2 fight, so I added a new 2 Mig 29s flight to help me in case the 3rd flight of mirages appear.

This is the trigger i set up:

ONCE (trigger4) --> GROUP ALIVE (Mirage03) --> GROUP ACTIVATE (MIG 29 02)

But actually the 2nd flight of migs appear anyway even if the 3rd flight of mirages is not in the mission. (of course the 2md migs ave the LATE ACTIVATION box set on)

What im doing wrong? any advices?

Thanks in advance

If a unit is there, but not activated, it is still alive. I would use a flag trigger, when the mirage group appears. So with 25% chance -> mirage becomes active AND flag xy is set to true.

Second trigger: If flag xy is true then additional mig group spawns

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Thank U MasterZelgadis.

Actually i still have to understand how to manage flags. But now that I understood that unit are alive even if are not active now i had an idea how to solve my problem:

I set up a trigger zone, so if the 3rd group of mirages is active, when it enter the trigger thone then the support group of migs will appear.

Now my idea works ;)

So my first mission is done and seem also quite funny.

Now im going to proceed with a second one. this way maybe soon i will put together a little campaign.

thanks all folks here for precious suggestions :)

A flag can be true or false basically. So if anything happens, you can set a flag to true or to false. At the other end, you can ask which state a flag has. Is it true? Then xy has to happen. is it false? Then something else can happen. Simple as that.

There is a second way to use flags, that is why flags can not only be true or false, they can also store a numeric value. So if condition xy is met, you can add 1 to a flag. For example you can count player planes in the air. Whenever a plane takes off, you can add 1 to the flag, whenever it becomes dead, you can decrease the flag value. On an other trigger you can let special things happen when for example 4 or more players are in the air, or to speak with the flag, when the flag is 4 or more.

I found it useful to make an excel list with the flags 1 to 100 where i can note, which flag I used for which action

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

Thanks MasterZelgadis for explanation.

I think I understood to concept behind the FLAG system. But i still dont understand how to prctically set the command on mission editor.

Can U please explain me step by step how to use FLAG on mission editor?

Thank in advance