better video card

Hello folks,

I have 2 system running this game, mine and a guest as to friends can play on when they come over. the second one runs pretty good on low settings, with med visual range. it is a amd duel core 4600+, 4 gigs of ram, and a factory overclocked saphire 3870 with 512k of ram. I also have a 4670 video card laying around with 1 gig of ram, but it doesnt plug into extra power like the overclocked 3870 does. my question is, what card would run the game better? i have windows 7 os. thanks

mark

The answer is snippy, but simple - any newer card will do better.

It depends on what you are able or willing to spend. I just bought myself a GTX 660 Ti for about 200 €.

Both your cards (3870 and 4670) are OK for low settings. DCS like the older Flaming Cliffs is heavy on the CPU side.

You should think about a hardware upgrade. Dual Core 4600+ is pretty outdated.

Edited by golfsierra2

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

I upgraded from a gforce 6600 to a gforce gtx 670 and expected a huge

frameraterate jump. Sadly it was exactly the same.

So the DCS is at the moment probably more dependent on a good processor and ram. but in the future perhaps the egde engine wil use the power of modern graphics cards. Hoping.

I upgraded from a gforce 6600 to a gforce gtx 670 and expected a huge

frameraterate jump. Sadly it was exactly the same.

So the DCS is at the moment probably more dependent on a good processor and ram. but in the future perhaps the egde engine wil use the power of modern graphics cards. Hoping.

Ehm, did you get a typo there?

The 6600 is a card released in 2004. Did you mean 660?

I wonder, because 670 is a PCIe, and if I recall right the 6xxx series needed a bridge to work with PCIe. Looks like a very strange upgrade, and any CPU from back then would be WAY below minimum specification for DCS World.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester