F-15C Mach Number in Navigation Mode

superhornete

I used to play Falcon 4 derivatives (Falcon 4.0 AF ; Open Falcon ; BMS 4.32 ) and the F-16 's HUD displays Mach Number in Navigation , Air-to-air , Air-to-ground and Missile Override(MRM) modes , Dogfight mode is the only mode without Mach Number.

The F-15C's HUD in Flaming Cliffs 2 doesn't display Mach Number in Navigation mode and I think it is important to know it as you have to adjust speed to optimum mach number during navigation to save fuel especially during long missions.

I don't know if the real life F-15C's HUD displays Mach Number in Navigation mode and I am waiting for your opinions. Is there a way to see it in Flaming Cliffs 2 F-15 Navigation

mode that I am not aware with ?

I really appreciate any help.

FCS hasn't changed a lot since LOMAC and is still limited to say the least. ED is planning a newer version of the F-15C to be released as a DCS FC module, so things like FCP, DED etc could be implemented. We're till waiting for an official Su-27/F-15 features listing announcement.

You could still take a look at the analog Mach indicator anytime meanwhile.

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

Thanks for yours quick replies!

It seems the only way to see mach number in FC2 F-15C navigation mode is to look at the analog display which is pretty hard to read as it is not pretty accurate ( it has large increments ).Changing to combat mode while navigation is not a good idea as the "route following" autopilot won't follow the waypoints anymore and the steering index ( the cross you have to follow ) will disappear from the HUD.

I've also noticed that TACAN is not modeled in FC2 because there is no unique code for each airfield in the theater like in Falcon 4.So you are not able to navigate to a specific airfield using TACAN (in BMS or Open Falcon you have to introduce the airfield unique TACAN code and the airfield unique radio UHF frequency and when TACAN is in range you have steering information on the HSI). For example if you want to navigate from Sukhumi to Anapa you have to cycle to all airfields and try to communicate with each ATC until you find Anapa (this is the only way I found for this type of navigation).

I know LOMAC has not the level of realism that BMS 4.32 has but I found a few annoying

things like these ones. Otherwise I really like the F-15C cockpit graphics and theater graphics ( they make you feel almost like in a real life jet ).I hope the F-15 release for DCS will be closer to the real thing and I am looking forward to buy it as the F-15 is one of my favorites jets.Will it be released this year?

Thanks.I heard a lot of good things about DCS A-10C. I think I will give it a try though the A-10 is a purely attack-bomber aircraft and is not among my favorites. I like intercept , sweep missions and I need a fighter for that.

Is the A-10C modeled similar to the F-16 in bms 4.32?

Even better...it's as close to the real thing as it can get, avionics and FM wise...military version is not far off the public version as only classified stuff is missing. Give it a go, you wont regret it and coming from BMS you'll know how to deal with the steep learning curve. Aside from survey avionics, FC planes are not that bad, you'll spend less time looking inside the cockpit and much more time fighting and improving your SA. Plenty of PvP servers for that which is not the case of BMS.

• Like 1

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

I was going to suggest the analog ASI gauge, but from what I remember it doesn't really give you a clear mach indication at sub-sonic speeds. I hadn't considered the idea of you wanting to use autopilot as it seems somewhat conflicting with your initial idea of controlling speed since that AP mode take over that function. I don't know of many who use more than altitude hold in the F-15, and thats kind of broken right now.

I was going to suggest the analog ASI gauge, but from what I remember it doesn't really give you a clear mach indication at sub-sonic speeds. I hadn't considered the idea of you wanting to use autopilot as it seems somewhat conflicting with your initial idea of controlling speed since that AP mode take over that function. I don't know of many who use more than altitude hold in the F-15, and thats kind of broken right now.

In FC2 the only autopilot mode that controls throttle is the "A" key.This key also follows your steerpoints.I use "Alt-6'' - route following mode for navigation on the planned route.This mode controls only steering and altitude(takes the jet at the proper altitude and steering from the planned route).I can adjust speed with throttle as desired.Also , there is "J" key that controls throttle , but this is kind of "autothrust" I suppose.I don't use "A" and "J" keys because I don't think the autothrust feature is real.

Indeed , the analogue gauge doesn't give me a clear mach indication.Unfortunately I think the only way to see HUD's Mach number in FC2 F-15C is switching to a combat mode and the "Alt-6 - route following " autopilot will lose autosteering to the next steerpoint.I think the real F-15 doesn't have this issue.Anyway , I enjoy FC2 as it is , waiting for a new F-15C release for DCS.Is FC3 similar to FC2 in respect of F-15C realism?

Edited by superhornete