differences in AI planes' skills

junae

Hi, I looked for this in FC's manual but no success...

When I set an AI's skill (from Average to Excelent) what really change? The "smartness", the max g-load? Specific offensive-defensive manouvers he might perform?

I'm specially confused because I did some head-on combat against AI and didn't notice any difference in BVR...

;)

=FN= Six o'Clock

Member of Falcões da Noite Squadron

Florianopolis :: Brazil

The most noticable effect for me is the time between target acquisition and firing. Excellent AI usually fires much faster and at longer distances. Note that this is not always the ideal way, and there are cases where an average AI plane may be more dangerous in the end - most missiles are pretty harmless at max range.

Besides, the missile evasion of excellent AI seems to work better. Not sure about the air dogfight capabilities, excellent seems to be better here as well but I can't say what the exact reason is for that.

With ground vehicles, the reaction time is even more important (not much maneuvering going on and enough ammo for a faster rate of fire). Excellent AI again fires earlier and faster, and that is usually a definite advantage with those.

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

... Note that this is not always the ideal way, and there are cases where an average AI plane may be more dangerous in the end - most missiles are pretty harmless at max range...

Hehe, that's why sometimes I struggle against an average oponent... I was really disappointed thinking: If I can't cope with a "ridiculous average" AI how will I against an Excelent? ;)

Man, there are things related to Lockon that in my opinion ED should publish documents explaining more details... The Mission Editor is one of them, AI behavior, some avionics, etc... I know those things couldn't be included in manual, but they could be released after with no rush... I would be very interested to read them...

=FN= Six o'Clock

Member of Falcões da Noite Squadron

Florianopolis :: Brazil