Can you map key to to this part of the instruments?

Dudester22

Can you map keys to to this part of the instruments? I have uploaded a pic showing what part I mean. I have one of those small numeric keyboards and would like to map those keys to it and place it near my Thrustmaster MDF's. If I can do this what section of the ingame controls do I need to be looking at within the sim?

Btw, What do you call that part of the instruments?

This2.thumb.jpg.d761a76c00bde34b546530824a05cfbc.jpg

Do you mean the UFC, as in all of the functions in this pic? You do realize that an external keypad merely duplicates the keypad on your keyboard. It is not a separate device that can be assigned like joystick buttons.

247391132_ufckeys.JPG.5594d2034dcb53179a53d028abc7d384.JPG

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Do you mean the UFC, as in all of the functions in this pic? You do realize that an external keypad merely duplicates the keypad on your keyboard. It is not a separate device that can be assigned like joystick buttons.

Yes I am aware it duplicates keys, but I am just trying to work out what keyboard keys the A10C, doesn't use. I don't think it will use so many keyboard commands that I cannot set these few keys up, will it? I mean, what currently does it use keys 1 through to 9 for apart from views? I have trackir, so I don't require them for that. After that there is only a few more key I need spare to get this working. Do you think this will work, or am I missing something here? Thanks!!

Edited by Dudester22

It will work fine. It just takes some time to assign available keys to the functions that still need them. The point I was making, is that you could do the same thing with the keyboard that you already have connected.

EDIT: Actually, there is one big gotcha on the numeric keypad. There are no modifier keys available on it, so you will still need a key from the main keyboard or a joystick button at the same time.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It will work fine. It just takes some time to assign available keys to the functions that still need them. The point I was making, is that you could do the same thing with the keyboard that you already have connected.

EDIT: Actually, there is one big gotcha on the numeric keypad. There are no modifier keys available on it, so you will still need a key from the main keyboard or a joystick button at the same time.

Cheers for pointing that out, I will just have to get a full keyboard. I will need another keyboard because I like to do what's in the Pic below, it makes them look much better and true to life. I might get a few more keys on there aswell if it's a full keyboard. Thanks!!

home_ga_cockpit.jpg.e370978341c4223295ecd332430c1af4.jpg

While not exactly what you want to do, I found what works very well is to map one joystick button as a modifier, then map all the letters and numbers as modifier+keyboard key. Simple setup, easy to use, and won't conflict with any existing keybinds.

That sounds the best option, but would I have to have the joystick key pressed in whilst pressing on the keyboard commands for the UFC? Bit like a shift key acts for capitals letters? Also, if that is the case could it be any joystick button or would it have to be like a button that acts like shift? Thanks!!

Yep, just like a shift key, or alt or ctrl, and you set it up in the controls options menu. I don't have the good HOTAS yet, so I'm using an old X-52, and any button will work as a modifier.

Sorry, but I am still not fully sure how to go about this. I also have the Saitek X-52. What button are you using to do this and do you mean set it up in the controls in the game or using the Saitek software?

I just went ahead and mapped my whole keyboard un-modified to the CDU, since the only key conflicts were with functions I had access to from my HOTAS, yoke and track-ir. The only problem was that mapping the space bar that way prevented progressing the training missions, so I made that lalt-space.

lalt-W for the waypoint button, lalt-F for the fplan button, ralt-N for the nav button, and ralt-M for the mkppoint button.

Last time I went through the training missions was a long time ago, but when I did I clearly remember that though it said to press space to continue, what it really meant is pull the trigger to continue. When I moved the cannon from space to enter, I had to press enter to continue.