Entering JTAC coords as waypoint.

jeproject

Page 460 of the manual directs you to set AAP/STEER PT switch to FLT PLAN, add the coordinates given by the JTAC and then set the STEER PT switch back to MISSION.

I only noticed it says this having just reread that section. :doh:

I don't believe I've been doing this, and if I have it was only because I forgot to set the switch to MISSION until after I created the waypoint.

Why do you have to do this?

Page 460 of the manual directs you to set AAP/STEER PT switch to FLT PLAN, add the coordinates given by the JTAC and then set the STEER PT switch back to MISSION.

I only noticed it says this having just reread that section. :doh:

I don't believe I've been doing this, and if I have it was only because I forgot to set the switch to MISSION until after I created the waypoint.

Why do you have to do this?

I think, I don't understand what your question is ... what do you have to do? Switching back to MISSION?

With the STEER PT dial you select the "collection" of WPs you will be using - especially for switching, well, steer points. With it set to MISSION you have access to all mission relevant WPs, that includes the WPs of the active FPL but also all your mark points, (pre-defined) airfields, etc.

When MARK is selected, you can only access your mark points and at FLT PLAN you only have your current FPL WPs.

The procedure in the manual you are refering to sets STEER PT first at FLT PLAN so you can work with FPL waypoints - that was the task here. When finished adding a new WP to your FPL, you dial back STEER PT to MISSION ... as that is/should be the default when flying a ... mission! :o)

Well, if you are just flying along your route defined in the FPL, there is no much practical difference between MISSION and FLT PLAN as you are only caring about FPL WPs anyway.

I understand switching back to MISSION (you have to do that to be able to use the TAD to see the new waypoint, which isn't *yet* in a flightplan and is not a markpoint. [please correct if wrong].

What I don't understand is why it tells you to initially set it to flight plan in the context of adding the coordinates the jtac gives you. I'm not doing anything with flight plans I'm just adding a waypoint.

Edit: What I mean essentially is that the first stage of the procedure according to the manual seems to do nothing of value to the process of creating a new waypoint on the CDU.

Edited by jeproject
  • Like 1

I understand switching back to MISSION (you have to do that to be able to use the TAD to see the new waypoint, which isn't *yet* in a flightplan and is not a markpoint. [please correct if wrong].

What I don't understand is why it tells you to initially set it to flight plan in the context of adding the coordinates the jtac gives you. I'm not doing anything with flight plans I'm just adding a waypoint.

Edit: What I mean essentially is that the first stage of the procedure according to the manual seems to do nothing of value to the process of creating a new waypoint on the CDU.

Yeah, I understand now. And I have no answer. :o)

I am not too familiar with all the CDU stuff - my basic understanding here is, with STEER PT you select the set of WPs that you can switch between via HOTAS, UFC or that switch in the middle between STEER PT and PAGE. But we are not switching our steer point, we just fiddle with waypoints...

hrm, this calls for some more manual studying!! :music_whistling:

Many missions will include a TGT waypoint which is in the general vicinity of the target area. Usually you don't really need the TGT waypoint once you're close enough to get the JTAC coordinates. So you can also call up the WAYPOINT screen for that TGT waypoint and override the coordinates with whatever the JTAC gives you, multiple times if he has many targets.

I don't know if this procedure is "officially sanctioned" but it works and it saves a few keystrokes. Another advantage is that if you have to cycle back and forth between the target waypoint and the IP, they are closer together in the sequence, again saving some keypresses.