Another Fresh Install

GreyBadger

Afternoon all

It's a while since I posted and so I thought I'd fling a few lines out there while I have some time to kill. :)

As PC owners it's probably safe to say that one of the things we have in common is that sooner or later we're going to have some kind of catastrophic system error, which ends up with the HD having to be reformatted. Either by yourself, or if like me you are on the challenged side, by a PC engineer. Hopefully you don't see this happen, but sadly I think that over the years I've had more than my fair share of it. Of course if that ever happens, any gaming progress which wasn't on some sort of cloud, will be lost. Along with whatever applications and other bits and bobs you had on board at the time.

For me it's been a bit of a double whammy, because I'm a really slow gamer nad so have been in the position where certain titles ("Far Cry 3" being one example off the top of my head) fall foul of more than one crash and have to be restarted multiple times.

I last had this kind of problem about three months ago (Happily my "FC3" saves were safe on the cloud this time and I have now finished it Great game.) and since then I've been slowly reintroducing items I'd had installed, but one of the main ones that I've yet to get around to is my old friend "DCS World". I'm ashamed to admit that it's the thought of the huge time investment to get it all back on again (All those different individual files one at a time etc) which has been....well let's not say "putting me off". Let's say encouraging me to keep putting it on the back burner.

I was looking at it again today and I noticed that "Flaming Cliffs 3" is on sale, which is hugely tempting as I've fancied it for a while but always been put off by the high price.

But why oh why do you need "Lock On" installed?

When I upgraded to the digital version of "Warthog" for example I didn't need to have my boxed copy installed. When I bought "BS2" it didn't require that I had installed my boxed copy of "BS1". Yet with "FC3" it seems I am required to reinstall a fairly old program, to be able to run the brand new one?

I have "LockOn Gold" but I've never run it on this machine and to be honest the reason is the "Starforce" thing. Apologies for speaking from a standpoint of technical ignorance, but Starforce, or at least older versions of it, had such a poor reputation, that I've tried my best (successfully so far) not to install it on this machine (couple of years old now) for fear of it breaking something which I then have to go to a shop to fix because I can't do it myself.

Yep..scared of my own PC. What a state of affairs eh? :lol:

Anyway there you go. I really must get around to putting "DCS World" back on again. I haven't yet had the opportunity to see "Black Shark 2" with the "TrackIR" turned on (Only used it with "Warthog" to date) and I'm sure I'm going to love it.

All the best folks

Badger

LockOn does not use Startforce. LockOn is required due to contractual obligations with the owner of the LockOn IP, which is Ubisoft.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

LockOn Gold includes Flaming Cliffs (1), which did use StarForce.

Correct, but LockOn Gold contains two separate pieces of software. Flaming Cliff 1, which does indeed use Starforce, is not relevant to the installation of Flaming Cliffs 3. LockOn, which does not use Starforce, is what is required for Flaming Cliffs 3.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That is very exiting news cichlidfan.. you're sure about that?

Yes. It is worth noting, that the activation key in that package is only for Flaming Cliffs 1. LockOn has no key.

Edited by cichlidfan

"DCS World" now installed and "FC3" running beautifully. I've also reinstalled "BS2" and after a brief panic over not having a serial number because mine was lost in the pc wipe, before realising that "DCS World" has stored the information for me, that too is up and running and looking good. :thumbup:

Quick follow up question though and it's something which also confused me on my first install, of "DCS World" last year, but which I never got an answer to at the time.

Having installed the individual modules, I realised that to get all the missions etc I had to follow that up by doing a further installation labelled "Install (EN)".

The two things confusing me about this are firstly why a separate download? Why did the missions not simply install when I downloaded the module and secondly, having installed the "Install(EN)" I notice that the install link for it is once again selectable. Once the content is downloaded should this not be greyed out to avoid confusion? Or is there additional content which requires I use it more than once.

Thanks in anticipation

Badger

Are you sure it's the missions that you're trying to download there and not the training files? Sounds like it to me. The missions should be there already

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Are you sure it's the missions that you're trying to download there and not the training files? Sounds like it to me. The missions should be there already

Morning Mr Mojo.

Ahhh... yes I think you're right about that. (This might be a D'oh! moment then:lol: )

The training folder was empty but now has some missions. So, not included in the initial download because why... to save time for folks to don't want or need the training perhaps?

Also there's the question as to why that link remains active. anyone able to enlighten this Badger?

Badger

That would be a question for the devs. They usually don't answer that type of question, either.