For those which are using 3DVISION/stereoscopic 3D display with DCS

I made a working test version on 1.2.8 beta. So it should work on 1.2.8 final.

Maybe it will also fix HUD for others planes...as I do not have them I can not check.

Sounds good! Could you please share it, I could try it with other planes as well.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

I have first to bind a key to turn the fix ON/OFF, because the mod will not be usable if always ON. It shift drawing and writting not only on HUD, but also on all displays (radars, shkval,...). So you will have to turn it on/off regarding the thing you are using.

Leave me two weeks, I am a bit busy...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, but DCS does not allow the use of parameters with helix dlls.

I tried different things but did not succeed.

So the mod is just unusable...

Regarding the Mi-8 MTV2 it should be possible that the same method I used to fix the HUD of the Blackshark and the A10C will work. See the attachments. I do not have the Mi-8, so I could not check...

I also fixed the first version of the UH1 before they provided a good one with the same method, so there is a lot of chance that you may modify the HUD with LUA files.

How_to_HUD_depth_fix_1_1.zip

Edited by lefuneste01

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 1 month later...

I have some progress, I couldn't exactly apply everything described in lefuneste01 document.

But I found something else.

So here is another method how to fix gun sights for 3D Vision, tried with Sabre, Dora and Mustang. Unfortunately there is a bug for Dora and Mustang, but for Sabre it works beautifully.

1. Go to: DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\F-86\Cockpit\Scripts\mainpanel_init.lua

and fix:

Z_test =

{

near = 0.05,

far = 20.0

}

2. Go to: DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\F-86\Cockpit\Scripts\Gunsight_A4\Indicator\A4_init.lua

and fix:

if A4_use_mirror_adjusting then

collimator_default_distance_factor = {10.61720563,0,0}

end

This makes gun sight of Sabre properly displayed with nVidia 3D Vision, looks like it works perfectly.

Same trick works for Dora and Mustang, but the bug is that in their case sight is not masked with sight's glass geometry anymore, it feels like the mask is offsetted or scaled up. Any ideas how to fix such bug?

For Dora fix these files:

DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\FW-190D9\Cockpit\Scripts\mainpanel_init.lua

DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\FW-190D9\Cockpit\Scripts\Gunsight_EZ42\Indicator\EZ42_init.lua

For Mustang fix these files:

DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\P-51D\Cockpit\Scripts\mainpanel_init.lua

DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\P-51D\Cockpit\Scripts\Gunsight_K14\Indicator\K14_init.lua

Thanks for all the work guys!

Unfortunately, I´m not handy enough with this stuff to find out any of this on my own so I still don't know if any method will work on the Mi-8.

There´s also something wrong with the fixed XM60E1 sight on the Huey (made by Lefuneste) It doesn´t seem to work (at least with me!) after (I think) patch 1.2.8. If I have it enabled (using JSGME) and want to switch to the co-pilot seat, it causes DCS to crash. Can anybody please replicate this problem?

cheers,

So, Geert I just tried tried my fix on Mi-8, and it worked!

There is a same bug as with Dora: sight will be still visible outside of the hud-glass, but it actually doesn't bother me much, you can turn it off when you don't need it, and it's invisible for second and third position. It's actually even a feature, you can shoot targets without looking through tiny window :)

But the most important - now it's usable with any convergence/depth level, you can aim with it.

So, in order to fix it, do the following:

1. go to: DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\mainpanel_init.lua

locate the line:

shape_name = shape

Should be the 3rd one. After this line put this piece:

Z_test =

{

near = 0.05,

far = 20.0

}

2. go to: DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Mi-8MTV2\Cockpit\Scripts\PKV\Indicator\PKV_init.lua

locate: collimator_default_distance_factor

and change values to following:

collimator_default_distance_factor =

{

}

That's it, hope it will help you.

I might take a look at the Huey later, I have all the DCS modules.

Works for Huey as well!

1. go to: DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Uh-1H\Cockpit\Scripts\mainpanel_init.lua

locate the line:

shape_name = shape

Z_test =

{

near = 0.05,

far = 20.0

}

2. go to: DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Uh-1H\Cockpit\Scripts\PilotSight\Indicator\PilotSight_init.lua

{

}

3. go to: DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Uh-1H\Cockpit\Scripts\FlexibleSight\Indicator\FlexibleSight_init.lua

{

}

And it's bloody awesome to roam in UH-1, I realized I didn't flew in it for a long time, now it has much more features!

Thanks a bunch Mnemomic!

I tried both the Huey and Mi-8 fix and they both worked. Definately better than at wrong debt, but that bug which causes the HUD to be drawn outside of the actual aiming device is, well, a bit a strange to say the least. Maybe something to be fixed one day I hope :helpsmilie:

The fix for the Huey that Lefuneste made did work flawlessly, it just stopped working after some update. I browsed this thread but couldn´t find that fix but I can still post it off course if needed. I just briefly looked at it and it included quite a lot of LAU files, that´s the only way I can describe it :cry:

BTW Bloody hard to fly a chopper AND shoot as well...

Thanks again!

Works for Huey as well!

1. go to: DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Uh-1H\Cockpit\Scripts\mainpanel_init.lua

locate the line:

2. go to: DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Uh-1H\Cockpit\Scripts\PilotSight\Indicator\PilotSight_init.lua

3. go to: DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Uh-1H\Cockpit\Scripts\FlexibleSight\Indicator\FlexibleSight_init.lua

And it's bloody awesome to roam in UH-1, I realized I didn't flew in it for a long time, now it has much more features!

Excuse my ignorance, but why are these changes? What do you change? I'm trying to get 3D vision, but without 3d monitor without glasses 3d without 3d drivers, just using the cross eyed method, similar to Crysis 2 I had to modify the Stereo.lua file and have had good results after many tests. If you have ever tasted and know how to see 3d using the method of crossed eyes, I leave this screenshot:861.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but why are these changes? What do you change? I'm trying to get 3D vision, but without 3d monitor without glasses 3d without 3d drivers, just using the cross eyed method, similar to Crysis 2 I had to modify the Stereo.lua file and have had good results after many tests. If you have ever tasted and know how to see 3d using the method of crossed eyes, I leave this screenshot

If you do stereo.lua - it will work for you, because stereo.lua moves camera for right and left eye.

NVidia 3D Vision makes it's own cameras from right and left eye, based on actual depth information from the buffers in memory of the videocard, so it's different method.

Aiming sights in DCS are actually drawn at "wrong" depth, but they collimate properly when you move your camera position, because they programmatically move image of the sight as well. From the static depth reading that nvidia do - such trick doesn't work. So in order to overcome this we need to render aiming sights imagery further away. And this is what fixes in this thread are all about.

Nvidia 3D Vision method provides much better speed than rendering stereo pair with stereo.lua, because it's directly done by the driver, it provides you full resolution stereo (full HD, not half of it) on proper screens, and it is possible to use it with multiple screens, I use NVidia 3D surround setup - three 3D screens in panoramic mode. Which overall is far from being cheap, but provides wide FOV stereo in huge resolution, combining with TrackIR - just fantastic.

14046517438_4536d30780_c.jpg

Edited by Mnemonic

The fix for the Huey that Lefuneste made did work flawlessly, it just stopped working after some update.

I did not fly too much with DCS because I went to Rise of Flight, so maybe I miss some changes.

But I removed my previous fix for UH1 because

• they implement a correct HUD and it seems to me that the stock model provide enough depth to be used
  • my method used for the A10C and the BS seems not to change the HUD depth.

It seems to me that you discovered the "collimator_default_distance_factor" variable that I did not use, and I know how to cope with the "drawn outside HUD" problem (I had the problem before with my fixes). I will go into my previous work and make some try with he P51 and the "collimator_default_distance_factor". I do not kow when I will have the time, so give me one or two weeks...

By the way, if someone has found how to put labels in 3D without going through shaders or Helix mod and how to have a 3D cursor...

• Like 1

I had a first look at P51 yesterday. It's exactly what I though, so it should be easy to fix.

The most demanding task will be to write a tutorial to explain how to fix similar problem for others planes/helo.

Regarding the glare effect, it's something that can be fixed with Helix mod (like FC3 Hud), but unfortunately I did not succeed to make Helix mod working correctly with DCS. Maybe with Edge....

I had some hope to have better support of 3Dvision with DCS works on Oculus support, but it seems that they made some things that are not available in non Oculus mode (I saw some Oculus screenshot where labels were in 3d, for example...)

Edited by lefuneste01
  • Like 1

I do not believe that thay will care, but why not trying ?

Nethertheless, stock A10C and BS2 HUD are less usable than P51D and UH1 Hud. I made a fix years ago, publish a "howto" to explain how I did that, but they never made anything to fix the HUD...

It works as planned.:smartass:

Here is a JSGME mod for the P51D. Can you try it and confirm me that it is OK ? (I just tried it on ground to check the gunsight).

The gunsight is now 10 meters in front of the plane. If you don't like it, modify the line "depth_corr = 10" in JSGME_MODS\z_P51D_stereoscopic_Gunsight\Mods\aircrafts\P-51D\Cockpit\Scripts\config.lua and replace the 10 by the number you want (it will be the distance in meter used to move the gunsight in front of the plane). Do not forget to reinstall the mod wirh JSGME once the modifications are done.

z_P51D_stereoscopic_Gunsight.zip