Chaff dispensers

captain_dalan

Hello devs!

I don't think we've discussed this by now, but as far as ECM goes, what jammers and chaff launchers are to be included in the F-14A/B package? Will we be getting the Expanded Chaff Adapter and the LAU-138 chaff/missile rail? I'm not sure where these entered service, early 90's perhaps?

Anyway, cheers all and safe flying! :pilotfly:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

It would certainly be nice for us as virtual aviators, but i don't know if they cover the era that this module is covering.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

It would certainly be nice for us as virtual aviators, but i don't know if they cover the era that this module is covering.

From what I can tell, the LAU-138 BOL chaff dispenser made its way into the fleet around 1997 or so. A bit later than the planned initial release of the F-14A/A+/B (which appears to be set from from the mid-late 1980s to early 1990s based on Heatblur's descriptions).

That said, the ALQ-167 ECM pod and expanded chaff dispenser would be a very welcome addition, as seen here on the Tomcat in the foreground:

161140_1.jpg

The ALQ-167 and expanded chaff dispenser would fit the planned Heatblur timeframe and would be a nice augmentation to the TARPS capability. :)

-Nick

Thanks for the info! Yeah, i guess mid 90's is a bit too late to expect in the current incarnation. Was the ALQ-167 used exclusively on TARPS missions?

Thanks for the info! Yeah, i guess mid 90's is a bit too late to expect in the current incarnation. Was the ALQ-167 used exclusively on TARPS missions?

From what I've read, the F-14s only carried it on TARPS missions since it was fairly large and heavy, occupying a Phoenix pallet.

However, the A-6E did carry it on combat missions as well into higher threat environments.

It didn't make the aircraft immune to threats, as seen on this ALQ-167 carrying A-6E after a SAM strike:

158539_1.jpg

Luckily, no casualties.

But it was a helpful addition.

-Nick

ALQ-167 might be in, LAU-138 is not planned at present. We've modeled the earlier LAU-7 rails.

As an addendum: this is an easy addition that we can make down the line / after release.

Thanks Cobra! You provide excellent feedback, kudos! :thumbup:

EDIT: i guess those LAU-138's would matter more for those high threat environments, during interdiction and deep strike missions. If the initial release doesn't cover precision strikes, they might not be as needed (simulated time frame aside).

Edited by captain_dalan

• 1 year later...