FFB rudder pedals

I have been thinking about how on earth to build a set of FFB rudder pedals from a spare MS FFB stick I have. It seems like by following PeterP's excellent dual motor cyclic work that it should work. However, it doesn't. It appears to me that every FFB motor is receiving the same signal no matter which axis it is assigned to. I have three MS FFB sticks plugged in, two are assigned to the cyclic and one to the pedals yet they all maintain the cyclic's position when I trim.

Kurt "Froglips" Giesselman

wishing someone would do a two seat sim like LB2...I ain't much of a pilot but I am a helava good shot.

System specs: Asus Sabertooth 990FX, AMD FX 4170, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 2 x Palit 560Ti 2GB video cards SLI, TIR 4, 26" main display, 21.5" Helios display, 10" Shkval display, 9" ABRIS display, XKeys Pro panel, Copy Cat Controls cyclic/collective w/custom KA-50 head/rudder

I never told/wrote that this should/would work! :)

Current DX FFB instructions only support two in-game axis.

Triggerhappy tried almost everything to get this running - you need third-party apps and some scripting to make this working.

Hello again,

I want to show you a Idea that I'm caring with me since the last three years. I finally took the time to bring it on "paper".

I think that this would be a robust workaround for FFB rudders

-This is not exactly FFB , these are Force Trim Rudders.

Please ignore the fact that there aren't Saitek rudders such wide like these - they only have the purpose to help me to illustrate the idea better.

Also only concentrate on the principle , as there are probably better ways to arrange the mechanic that is capable to do the same thing.

It is just my humble try to picture this idea of Force-Trim Rudders.

11.jpg

A: servo-motor that pulls away worm-wheel C from the rudder axis gear, over some linkage and springs that will move back the worm-wheel when no force is applied. So the ruder is free moving and you can set a new spring-loaded center-position.

Must be connected to the trim button of the KA-50

B: servo-motor that turns worm-wheel C , so Trim the position of the rudders gradually - must be connected to the buttons you use as rudder-trim for a fixed wing aircraft.

D: this part is free moving and spring loaded - so you are able to move the rudders freely - while you still can trim the position.

12.jpg

Moving Parts when Servo A is active:

10.jpg

Moving Parts when Servo B is active:

14.jpg

I still hoping /dreaming to build something similar like this in near future.

Normally you should find all necessary parts in a good RC-Model Shop, and also the electronics to program diffrent functions - and even hook it up to the computer - so you can control it via some scripting in sync to the simulation you are running.

So I can finally simulate the rudder movement of a Fore-Trim helicopter and also of a fixed-wing plane.

:)

I hope this gives you some inspiration - and we now can start from this point to work something out and make this concept even better.

Edited by PeterP

• 2 years later...

Is force feedback a phenomenon that real chopper pilots actually get?

I would suggest the feedback comes through the seat of their pants, and how the whole chopper moves, not from any feedback applied pressure in the pedals.

Also, would legs and feet be very sensitive to feedback in the way that hands are?

Having hinged levers 1 metre long, with small movements directed against them might ask a lot of any system.

Is force feedback a phenomenon that real chopper pilots actually get?

I would suggest the feedback comes through the seat of their pants, and how the whole chopper moves, not from any feedback applied pressure in the pedals.

Also, would legs and feet be very sensitive to feedback in the way that hands are?

Having hinged levers 1 metre long, with small movements directed against them might ask a lot of any system.

Im not sure about feedback in helis but i'd love spme good rudder pedals with control losding and a centre that moves with trim for flying fixed wing. Unfortunately I've only ever seen FSX specific systems with £100+ motors which are still marginal for realistic forces when massively geared down too...