VRinsight devices (CDUII) in game. VRi2DCSBIOS.exe

UPDATE 06/07/2015: CDU Confirmed as working thanks to MightySeaKing. CDUII working. Others are a work in progress.

G'day,

Thanks to the brilliant software DCS-BIOS by JBoecker ([FSF]Ian), and a bit of interface programming with the very helpful VRinsight SerialFP2_UIM Software (Many thanks yet again to Kook and the VRinsight team!), it is possible at long last to get VRinsight Devices working with DCS World. In this particular instance... The CDUII, with my app VRi2DCSBIOS.exe (Version 1.0.0)

This software is a go-between software interface run in a Command Prompt DOS window. And functions as;

DCS World <--> DCS-BIOS <--> VRi2DCSBIOS <--> VRinsight Device (CDUII in this case).

The key assignments for the CDU are translated in the Key.ini lookup file, and can be anything you want as long as it follows the DCS-BIOS Key Text format. In this instance I have preset most of the working CDU keys, and the important switches from the AAP, all on the CDU to get the full function of the Embedded GPS/INS (EGI) Navigation System. See "VRi2DCSBIOSdefaultkeyslayout.pdf" from the install files for the basic Key assignments. (Or here VRi2DCSBIOSdefaultkeyslayout.pdf).

If you have setup your DCS World multi-monitor for the VRinsight CDUII screen and have DCS-BIOS installed. This VRi2DCSBIOS program will complete the link and get your CDUII in game.

When installed and started, press a few keys and you will see VRinsight device input, DCSBIOS output, and the corresponding change in game as per the output;

(Note; If you get the MSVCR120.dll missing error you will need to install the latest Visual 2013 C++ Redistribution package vcredist_86.exe from microsoft to get the run time libraries for your operating system. Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013)

outputcapture_zpsa547c59c.png

The program can be run at anytime to test its reading of VRinsight devices. The keys.ini file can be modified and saved while in game for on the fly testing.

The file keys_-_CDU2_MCP2B.ini here enables the VRinsight Mode Control Panel 2 Boeing version with the rotary encoder examples for Baro, HSI HDG, and HSI CRS (V/S rotary). It must be renamed to keys.ini of course to work.

Download and unzip the installer application. (The readme is VRi2DCSBIOS_ReadMe.txt)

VRi2DCSBIOSinstaller100.zip

Run the Setup.exe as Adminstrator to install.

Follow the prompts from the installation software.

The default install directory is C:\VRi2DCSBIOS\

This is a work in progress. The CDUII works great. And so to the CDU thanks to MightySeaKing. Still getting the correct assignment on the MCP for UHF, VHF radios etc, as well as the MCP display linked is a WIP. I am sure it will work with other VRinsight devices but I will need feedback from users who have those.

Devices Tested;

--------------------

MCP [FMER] Buttons, Switches OK. Encoders WIP (Clearing cached rotation). Displays WIP.

MCP2B [MCP2B] Buttons, Swithces, Encoders WIP (Clearing cached rotation), Displays OK - WIP.

CDU [CDU] Buttons OK. RADIO mode to be investigated. (Many thanks to mightyseaking for his efforts. See message #17).

CDU2 [CDU2] Buttons OK.

M PANEL [MPANL] WIP. (Many thanks to mightyseaking for his assistance with this unit).

MSPANEL - NOT FOUND. Treated as USB Joystick only. Not seen by SerialFP2_UIM. (Thanks to tagge for his efforts in testing this unit).

Cheers,

Edited by BrassEm
update units tested

AHEM...Cough.... http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/fighter-radio-black-p-394.html?language=en

exciting times for pit builders...

skunk160 | Win10 PRO 64bit | i7-4770K 3.50 GHz | 32GB DDR3/1866MHz | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 x2 | Oculus Rift S | Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 | Virpil F-14B grip | Virpil 200m Curved Extension | PointCTRL | Delta Sim TM Slew | Sim Bandit AHCP | MFG Crosswind Pedals | //FOX2 Switch Boxes | RECARO SPG Seat | AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Transducer x2

//FOXTWO Multi-Role Combat Pit Build http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134745

AHEM...Cough.... http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/fighter-radio-black-p-394.html?language=en

exciting times for pit builders...

Sure is!

Just got to be able to utilise them in DCS World like the VRinsight devices too!

... cough VRinsight.

Hey skunk160, I notice that you have a VRinsight Switch Panel!

Can I ask what type of key presses get sent from it when you use VRiSim?

(VRiSim set to Key Commanding (Non-MSFS), Open Config Dialog checked and Test & Debug Read Checked.)

The VRi2DCSBIOS program should work for this as well with addition to the keys.ini, but I will need some help as I dont have one.

Edited by BrassEm
Another VRinsight user.

the VRinsight switch panel is just a joystick emulator, so the pots etc just show up as axis and the switches just show in game controler as joy buttons

saying that its a poorly made expensive joystick emulator. most of the internal LEDs failed in the first week all by the first month, the sliders are noisy/spikey

its nothing a GPwiz40/Bodnar board and 40 toggles couldn't do for 1/4 the price....but i was young and stupid

skunk160 | Win10 PRO 64bit | i7-4770K 3.50 GHz | 32GB DDR3/1866MHz | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 x2 | Oculus Rift S | Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 | Virpil F-14B grip | Virpil 200m Curved Extension | PointCTRL | Delta Sim TM Slew | Sim Bandit AHCP | MFG Crosswind Pedals | //FOX2 Switch Boxes | RECARO SPG Seat | AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Transducer x2

//FOXTWO Multi-Role Combat Pit Build http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134745

Hi!

I have a VRinsight MS Panel. Could I with this software (or any other) make my sliders/axis behave like switches? I do not need 6 sliders, probably never will...

- With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

- "Upside-down shuttlecock of death" SU-27 as described by Sgt Baker

I have a VRinsight MS Panel. Could I with this software (or any other) make my sliders/axis behave like switches? I do not need 6 sliders, probably never will...

Hey tagge,

A pot as a switch? (Gear lever for example?) Very possible. It will depend on what form the VRi device sends its info. If you get to the panel with VRiSim to get the read info, then I can work with it.

VRiCapture_zpscc9hxdxz.png

The program takes whatever the VRinsight device sends via SerialFP2 calls, if it finds a match in the keys.ini lookup, it will send what ever DCS-BIOS you set to DCS World, and thanks to DSC-BIOS, act on it.

Edited by BrassEm
add image and read better

I get a "MSVCR120.dll missing error"...

The app was written in Visual Studio 2013 C++, you've never run a C++ app of this version on your computer before so never needed the the run-time dll.

You will need the latest Visual 2013 C++ Redistribution package (x86) installed (vcredist_86.exe) from microsoft to get the run time libraries for your operating system.

Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013

All should be good after that. (Updated initial post, thanks!).

Edited by BrassEm

This is what I got:

Looks like it can't be interrogated by the SerialFP2 calls to the VRinsight MS Panel. Sorry but this isn't going to work for this device at the moment. (Thank you for your efforts, I will update the first post. Read the readme on the procedure to uninstall the app.) Taking standard Windows device inputs would be further down the track.

Helios does take standard windows device outputs, DCS-BIOS is making access to DCS WORLD easy. I know Gadroc and [FSF]Ian are working together so I am hoping that the two programs will integrate.

Edited by BrassEm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Works with Vrinsight CDU

THought I would add my pennies worth in here

Amazing!!!

It works with the plain old CDU a small bit of fiddling with the keys.ini to work as the default keys.ini supplied by brassem has different names. CDU - CDU II changes

I have attached. Its called keys.txt just rename this to keys.ini

This is for Vrinsight CDU (first version)

Cheers All

keys.txt

Edited by mightyseaking

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hmm, interesting. I totally forgot about this thread and the HW mentioned here. And congrats on getting the panels working.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi BrassEm

Thank-you very much for your software I use with DCS and my CDU and FMER oldest MCP

On the first post you said that RADIO mode to be investigated

Do-you have a solution today on FMER or MCP about COM1 COM2 etc I could test

I use the CDU2_MCP2B.ini and adapt encoder as pressure and CRS but I do not try to obtain on LCD the indication.

If you have some help it should be great