Notes after finishing two Ka-50 campaings in VR

RpSPT

Finally finished Black Shark Deployment and Medvedev campaigns in VR which I started in december. I have been using Oculus Rift CV1. I have also tested with Vive for some amount of time, but Oculus image is better in terms of reading hud and seeing far away targets. Did not use target enlargement and mainly kept labels of. There are couple of missions with lots of zu-23 where had to turn labels on. Zu-23 are nearly impossible to spot in VR when it is getting darker.

Tips and notes:

-Flying is easier in VR as it is easier to notice distances and to observe in which direction you are moving.

-Used a lot of AI reconnaissance to spot targets before going in.

-After reconnaissance stayed atleast 4km away from the spotted enemy AA and tanks.

-Used AI wingmen a lot to destroy AA, like those zu-23 which are hard to spot.

-Tanks and other bigger vehicles are quite easy to spot with Shkval from far away.

-Moving helps avoiding enemy missiles from tanks and bmp completely, so recommend moving all the time. Just not in straight line towards the enemy.

-If there is a laser warning going on then turn away if not currently destroing the source of the laser. Use AI reconnaissance again if needed to spot the enemies.

-Month of a year were wrong in missions so in Medvedev campaign when the winter comes it was all green but with snow coming from the sky.

-Last mission in Medvedev campaign got stuck in AI helicopter not landing to the stadion. Could not get the 100% finnish.

I have played these campaigns atleast twice without VR in the past which helped a lot in knowing how to win on all missions. Playing in VR was good experience, and can not fly Ka-50 without VR anymore. The game just is not very good outside the handling of the helicopter. AI is bad and terrain graphics are dated. Some of the mission are very unbalanced, and there are couple of missions where friendly ground forces are suicidal which you are supposed to defend. Still had alot of fun in many missions, especially in those where got to destroy multiple T-72 tanks with four helicopters. It was cool to sometimes just follow and watch AI wingmen attacking and maybe shoot couple missiles yourself staying close.

Not sure if would recommend playing trough these campaigns in VR if never flown Black Shark. Resolution is not the best, but it is all doable and even enjoyable with current tech VR.

• Like 2

Finally finished Black Shark Deployment and Medvedev campaigns in VR which I started in december. I have been using Oculus Rift CV1. I have also tested with Vive for some amount of time, but Oculus image is better in terms of reading hud and seeing far away targets. Did not use target enlargement and mainly kept labels of. There are couple of missions with lots of zu-23 where had to turn labels on. Zu-23 are nearly impossible to spot in VR when it is getting darker.

Tips and notes:

-Flying is easier in VR as it is easier to notice distances and to observe in which direction you are moving.

-Used a lot of AI reconnaissance to spot targets before going in.

-After reconnaissance stayed atleast 4km away from the spotted enemy AA and tanks.

-Used AI wingmen a lot to destroy AA, like those zu-23 which are hard to spot.

-Tanks and other bigger vehicles are quite easy to spot with Shkval from far away.

-Moving helps avoiding enemy missiles from tanks and bmp completely, so recommend moving all the time. Just not in straight line towards the enemy.

-If there is a laser warning going on then turn away if not currently destroing the source of the laser. Use AI reconnaissance again if needed to spot the enemies.

-Month of a year were wrong in missions so in Medvedev campaign when the winter comes it was all green but with snow coming from the sky.

-Last mission in Medvedev campaign got stuck in AI helicopter not landing to the stadion. Could not get the 100% finnish.

I have played these campaigns atleast twice without VR in the past which helped a lot in knowing how to win on all missions. Playing in VR was good experience, and can not fly Ka-50 without VR anymore. The game just is not very good outside the handling of the helicopter. AI is bad and terrain graphics are dated. Some of the mission are very unbalanced, and there are couple of missions where friendly ground forces are suicidal which you are supposed to defend. Still had alot of fun in many missions, especially in those where got to destroy multiple T-72 tanks with four helicopters. It was cool to sometimes just follow and watch AI wingmen attacking and maybe shoot couple missiles yourself staying close.

Not sure if would recommend playing trough these campaigns in VR if never flown Black Shark. Resolution is not the best, but it is all doable and even enjoyable with current tech VR.

To be honest graphics wise I found that the black shark definately looks the worst of all the helicopter modules whereas the UH-1 and M18 give a much more convincing experience somehow!

I think DCS looks great tbh, though it is best to fly near the evening or early morning as 12 oclock in DCS VR looks a bit rough! Make sure too you have adjusted your headsets digital vibrance settings using a HDMI cable in you Nvidia control settings panel. Resoloution is honestly never something I notice or worry about though I use MSSA on 4x.

Another good tip is to turn visibility range down to low. Others may disagree but I think you get more shimmery clutter on higher visibility and much better performance on the lower. At any rate it compensates for the use of MSSA which is pretty much vital resolution wise.

Have you tried vegas at night? Very convincing especially if like me you sit in front of an air conditioner and have a jetseat!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

• 2 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting old thread, but does anybody know how to resolve this?

I'm stuck. I got the "Squad is away." message and the Mi-8 start to hover around the stadium. Nothing more happens. Wing-man bingo fuel. I returned to base after airborne for 2h05min.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Sorry for resurrecting old thread, but does anybody know how to resolve this?

I'm stuck. I got the "Squad is away." message and the Mi-8 start to hover around the stadium. Nothing more happens. Wing-man bingo fuel. I returned to base after airborne for 2h05min.

Problem is the two way points for the Mi-8 have it hovering at 9km hour when it gets to the stadium, and either the chopper is to close to the wall of the stadium and or the wind is so strong, that it can not move around properly, so when it is meant to fly on , it can't because the strong wind is blowing it around to face the wrong way all the time.

Quick fix would be to edit the mission file for the waypoints 18 and 19 for the MI-8 and set to 30 kmh so that it has enough forward speed to counter the wind speed, it should just then slow down over the stadium, repel the make believe squad with out landing, and then fly on, and within a second or so you will get a message that you have the man you were after, fly home and your done.

Cheers, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Thanks MadDog,

I actually thought about that myself shortly after posting my question:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=191831

I will test it whenever I get the time.

Thanks anyhow, it's a kind of confirmation that my (and your) idea might work

I'll keep you updated.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Thanks MadDog,

I actually thought about that myself shortly after posting my question:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=191831

I will test it whenever I get the time.

Thanks anyhow, it's a kind of confirmation that my (and your) idea might work

I'll keep you updated.

Definitely works, as I edited the mission and put it an actual landing sequence and also tested that it worked before posting, he now lands in the middle of the stadium.

Moved the other trigger zone for "we have got him" a little more away from the stadium, because he tends to overfly the stadium before he lands.

Cheers.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

• 2 months later...

Finally got both time to fly and successful enough to get the Mi-8 to the stadium.

And yes, my changes to the mission seams to work, the Mi-8 continued.

I did not get the "Okay, we've got him..." message though, but it might be due to me getting shot down shortly after the arrival to the stadium...:joystick:

Or possibly it overflew the stadium as you said MadDog-IC.

Now I will continue to try until I'm back at the FARP with successful completion of my mission:pilotfly:

Thanks!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...