External Tanks Bug

Erk104

I took off with three 150 gallon tanks... I selected the pylons first when they emptied I got the caution light and confirmed that it was feeding from the internal tanks... I then turned off the pylon cleared the caution... then selected center and immediately the caution came on to indicate my centerline was empty... I never used the centerline until that instant. With the centerline tank still on it continued to feed from internal instead of refilling internal as I would expect. This is not functioning the way the manual says it should

Page 93 of the Manual

E x t e r n a l F u e l S e q u e n c i n g

When external tanks are carried, use inboard tanks first, centerline tank next, and internal fuel last.

NOTE: During ground operation , it is not recommended to transfer fuel from external tanks when fuel quantity in the left fuel system is 1700 pounds or more, or in the right system is 230 0 pounds or more.

When inboard tanks are empty (indicated when EXT TANKS EMPTY caution light comes on), check fuel quantity indicator for a decrease in quantity to assure that inboard tanks are empty. To transfer centerline tank fuel, turn off PYLONS fuel transfer switch and turn on CL fuel transfer switch.

I took off with three 150 gallon tanks... I selected the pylons first when they emptied I got the caution light and confirmed that it was feeding from the internal tanks... I then turned off the pylon cleared the caution... then selected center and immediately the caution came on to indicate my centerline was empty... I never used the centerline until that instant. With the centerline tank still on it continued to feed from internal instead of refilling internal as I would expect. This is not functioning the way the manual says it should

Page 93 of the Manual

E x t e r n a l F u e l S e q u e n c i n g

When external tanks are carried, use inboard tanks first, centerline tank next, and internal fuel last.

NOTE: During ground operation , it is not recommended to transfer fuel from external tanks when fuel quantity in the left fuel system is 1700 pounds or more, or in the right system is 230 0 pounds or more.

When inboard tanks are empty (indicated when EXT TANKS EMPTY caution light comes on), check fuel quantity indicator for a decrease in quantity to assure that inboard tanks are empty. To transfer centerline tank fuel, turn off PYLONS fuel transfer switch and turn on CL fuel transfer switch.

At last !!, I do not feel so alone anymore :), same

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I just tested it (in 2.5 MP) during my hi alt test flight and sequencing worked correctly. I used 3x150gal tanks.

After take off I let the internal fuel qtty drop some, then switched wing tank switch and observed fuel qtty rise. After some long wait climbing to about 30000ft I got a ext.fuel light I turned of the wing tank switch and let the internal fuel qtty drop again.

After that I switched on the CL fuel tank switch (I was at burner at the time) and again observed internal fuel qtty rise. After few minutes I got the ext.fuel light again and turned of the CL tank switch.

All worked as it should have and the flight was from 0ft to 48000ft (and some) half of the time on burner.